Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Graduated!!

tag
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

Discover Secured Graduated!!

Aloooooha!!

Last night I had to embarassingly call Discover customer service because a payment on my secured card was returned - I had already made the minimum so it wasn't late, but wanted to pay an extra $1500 and my student loan payment went out a week early unexpectedly. Needless to say, I thought I would never again see my $2,400 security deposit from Discover.

The customer service lady laughed and said they're going to run the payment again, and then said "Congratulations, you just graduated to an unsecured card yesterday!" No email, no nothing yet, so I was pretty surprised to say the least!

$2,400 SL, EX is 595, EQ 633 and TU 655. 29% UTI.

I've had the card for 15 months, maxed out from December through April due to emergency. Got it down to 60% in May, and then 29% in June and BAM. Graduated. It's like getting a second tax return Smiley Happy

Current FICO8:

2017: $200 secured card | 2023: $200,000+ total credit line
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
avp99
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover Secured Graduated!!

Nice and welcome surprise!   Congrats  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way to go...COngrats!!...Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the surprise graduation!
Message 4 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 10
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

@19eighty5 wrote:

Congratulations!!

Thanks!

I couldn't help but notice that you have a Gold Delta Skymiles and similar scores to mine. Did they pull EX and what were your metrics when you applied? I've been eyeing that one for a while, and keep getting their bonus offer letters in the mail. I have much better luck with issuers that pull TU or EQ, as my EX still has a couple of baddies on it.

Ideally I'd garden for 6 months, close all my subprimes and then apply. But I'm getting greedy and their 60k miles offer ends in a month.. Probably gonna fill in the blanks, pull the lever and close my eyes in July.

Current FICO8:

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jayjayhawaii wrote:

Aloooooha!!

Last night I had to embarassingly call Discover customer service because a payment on my secured card was returned - I had already made the minimum so it wasn't late, but wanted to pay an extra $1500 and my student loan payment went out a week early unexpectedly. Needless to say, I thought I would never again see my $2,400 security deposit from Discover.

The customer service lady laughed and said they're going to run the payment again, and then said "Congratulations, you just graduated to an unsecured card yesterday!" No email, no nothing yet, so I was pretty surprised to say the least!

$2,400 SL, EX is 595, EQ 633 and TU 655. 29% UTI.

I've had the card for 15 months, maxed out from December through April due to emergency. Got it down to 60% in May, and then 29% in June and BAM. Graduated. It's like getting a second tax return Smiley Happy

Congratulations on your graduation!!!!

Message 8 of 10
pamon
Regular Contributor

Congrats. Have a $200 SL here just made 1st payment. Will be adding to that limit soon. Seems like a better card than Cap One secures by most opinions
Fico 8 Exp 598 Transunion 598 Equifax 596 (7/18/18)
FICO 8 Exp 609 TransUnion 622 Equifax 617 (8/10/18)
FICO 8 Exp 643 Equifax 641 Transunion 655 (9-10-18)
FICO 8 exp 630 Transunion 646 Equifax 627
Fico 8 Exp 646 Transunion 639 Equifax 640 (11/1/18)
Fico 8 Exp 698 Transunion 716 Equifax 690 (1/8/19)
Message 9 of 10
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

@pamon wrote:
Congrats. Have a $200 SL here just made 1st payment. Will be adding to that limit soon. Seems like a better card than Cap One secures by most opinions

Congrats! This card will be good to you! 16 months in, I have nothing but good things to say about Discover. I started off with a $200 limit on the Discover Secured and just paid in full each month. Later added for a $500 limit and then added for a $2,400 limit in December.

I actually carried a $2,000 balance from December through April due to an emergency, just paying a little over minimum payments. Got it down to $1,500 in May, and then $700 in June. They graduated me on that statement, keeping the $2,400 limit, which helped me get another $3,000 cc through my credit union.

Cap One is a great card too. They have not yet graduated me, but bumped me up from $200 to $500 after 5 months. Next statement will be 11 months so fingers crossed for graduation, and then combine with my QS1.

I would stick with either or both of those. My scores would have probably actually been higher today had I just kept those and not opened unsecured crappy cards (like the ones to the right in my signature). Thos are getting shredded one each month now.

Current FICO8:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.