cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover additional cardholder card number same

Highlighted
Established Member

Discover additional cardholder card number same

Hello a question I added my girlfriend to my Discover card as an additional cardholder I received the card in the mail and it has the same card number as mine so my question is how would it help her by being reported to the credit bureau if it has the same card number as mine ?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Discover additional cardholder card number same

Good question. I was an authorized user on my Parent's credit card when I was young before I got my own and I don't think it helped. Either that, or 1 AU wasn't enough to get me enough history for my own credit card.

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
New Contributor

It should be fine. Chase does the same thing when it comes to card numbers and they showed up on my credit just fine after I was added as an AU. It also did help me be able to establish my own credit again after not too long.
TU Fico8 score December 2018 - 585
TU Fico8 score April 2020 - 709

Cards in order of opening, starting from December 2018
Indigo - $300 (closed before AF! Helped with rebuild)
Fingerhut - $900
Cap1 QS1 - $500 (want to close it so badly!)
Lord & Taylor - $750
CareCredit - $12,000
Tractor Supply - $2,000
Discover - $2,300
Amazon Store Card - $4,000
BBVA Clearpoints - $4,700
Home Depot - $4,000
Ashley Advantage - $3,500
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

It is not the card number, it is her SSN you gave when adding her that identifies her and gives her the report. 

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Look on the lower right corner of the back of the card. You’ll see “A001” on the primary card. AU cards will be A002, A003, etc to differentiate them. It’s likely there’s coding in the strip to that effect too.

Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | PenFed PCR | IT Cash | IT Chrome | GHSFCU Visa Plat | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Sams MC | Firestone | Overstock | Kohl’s | 2017 Audi A6 Prestige S-Line

TCL $85,100| Agg. Util under 5%
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

If you look at the back of your Discover card, under the Disco, Diners and Pulse logos, there's a card identifier that starts with "A". (A001, A002, A003, ~) This is how Discover knows which card is being used. You can have multiple card designs in hand and turn them off/on online using these identifiers as well.

As eastsea said, Discover will report her as an AU using the info you provided for her to get a card on your account.

Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex Blue Cash ($24K), Amex Simply Cash+ ($4K), Amex Business Cash ($22.5K), Discover ($22.7K), Cap 1 Union Plus MC ($2500), Chase FU Visa Sig ($12K), Chase F Visa Sig ($8.3K), Chase CSP Visa Sig($6.5K), FCB/Elan Rewards Visa Sig($15K), Buckle ($1.3K), BofA AAA Rewards ($84.5K), Paypal credit ($10K), BBVA Clearpoints ($7.5K), Cap 1 Savor ($10K), PenFed PCR ($3500), Bank of the West CB MC ($3K)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.