Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan - Returned Payment

tag
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Elan - Returned Payment

So I managed to make a payment to Elan on SUnday, and forget to change the bank account the payment was coming from.

I didn't even think to look until today, when the money still had not come out of the account. Of course when I did, I realised my error. Later on I then got a notification from that bank of a NSF returned fee.

How mad are Elan going to be now? Should I reach out to them directly and explain it was a simple error? 

First time issue, never done it before. I simply forget to change the target account.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Elan - Returned Payment

I'm really sorry this happened to you 

If they are anything like Mama US Bank, it ranges from just having to pay a fee up to CLD. Accounts are typically not closed first time it happens. 

You can call them, but that really doesn't do much, it's logged internally, and that isn't something a human being can "fix" 

I would just wait to see what they do (hopefully nothing), and go from there. 

Again, I'm really sorry ☹️

Message 2 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You should call, if for no other reason than as a first-time offender they may choose to waive the customary returned payment fee.   You're going to want to PIF the current balance ASAP. 

Returned payments are viewed as being a pretty serious screwup and it's one you absolutely do not want to repeat; they may choose to forgive 1 incident but a repeat offense has a much higher probability of triggering an account closure.   You're going to be on their naughty list for a while and at a mininum don't expect to be able to get a CLI in the near future.  

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 7
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

I agree its a serious screw up. I did call to advise them and the CR didn't ask like it was that big a deal, but we all know what they actually know.

I took the step of deleting that payment source from my account, so that it literally cannot happen again - there isn't much more I can do unforatuntly.

I guess we'll see what happens. It blows though to get an NSF fee from both the bank and the credit card - but stupidity should have a price, and that's mine this time.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 4 of 7
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Well, so far all that has happened is that the NSF fee has posted to my Elan account (and to my bank account too, both $29) No nasty message from Elan, no CLD.

If that's all that they do, I can live with it. Like I said before, stupid tax.

Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ldkcivilservant wrote:

Well, so far all that has happened is that the NSF fee has posted to my Elan account (and to my bank account too, both $29) No nasty message from Elan, no CLD.

If that's all that they do, I can live with it. Like I said before, stupid tax.

If your bank uses chexsystems or similar, there will probably be an NSF report there as well.   One won't cause too much damage there, but more will hurt your chances of opening other bank accounts (those that check those systems at least)

Message 6 of 7
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

It was Navy Federal, which I do not believe uses chexsystems.

I hate that that happened to anything to do with Navy TBH, we use them for the majority of our credit relationships, but at least the charge was paid immediatly without any issue.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.