Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enlightenment needed...

tag
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

Enlightenment needed...

Why do people need or want so many credit cards?  If you don't need all of that credit why have the accounts open   I don't think I'd want to manage 8 credit cards.  In fact, now that I will have an amex and a card with my cu I think I will get rid of the secured card and the low limit cap one.  The thought of all of those accounts stresses me out.  I live virtually debt free now and only purchase to help with my score.  If I have all that I need and don't forsee myself needing any in the near future (have car, almost house) I think it's best to just garden.  Is my logic sound?  Please shed some light!

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
NCGirl
New Contributor

Re: Enlightenment needed...

I agree with you. However, sometimes cc users need mutliple cc's for the utilization factor. Or maybe you have an Amex, like I do and it is not excepted by small businesses, so added a visa or MC would be smart. But I still don't think that have more than 4 or 5 cards is wise... when all you really need is 2.

Full disclosure, even though all you really need is 1 or 2... I do have 3 and plan to add a fourth, because I want either a visa or mastercard.

Currently have: Amex BCE 6,500, Discover IT 4,500, First National AMEX 3,000... have two sub-prime that I am closing this month, now that I have some good cards on my file.

Starting Score: 689
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Amex BCE, Discover, FNBO AMEX, Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa, Blue for Business
(In the garden until November 2013)
Next card Visa Signature - World Elite MC(Business)
Message 2 of 22
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

That's my plan as well! Close some of the sub primes.  One is a secured card with 1k on it!  I can be the one to benefit from that interest!  Ha ha!  I think the Amex and the card from my CU are good.  Will probably keep one of the small ones just for kicks.  I really don't want more than that. 

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 3 of 22
enharu
Super Contributor

@NY_Beauty wrote:

Why do people need or want so many credit cards?  If you don't need all of that credit why have the accounts open   I don't think I'd want to manage 8 credit cards.  In fact, now that I will have an amex and a card with my cu I think I will get rid of the secured card and the low limit cap one.  The thought of all of those accounts stresses me out.  I live virtually debt free now and only purchase to help with my score.  If I have all that I need and don't forsee myself needing any in the near future (have car, almost house) I think it's best to just garden.  Is my logic sound?  Please shed some light!

few reasons.

different cards give different bonuses for different types of purchases.

There's stuff in day to day life that one must buy. Some of those items cost the same regardless of how you pay (cash, credit, debit, etc).

If they are going to cost the same regardless of payment type, and you are forced to pay for it anyhow because you need it, then might as well use a credit card that maximizes the rewards you're going to get.  

Think of it as a "discount".

There are of course times where paying in cash or debit results in a bigger discount than using a credit card, i.e. shopping at costco, with the exception of amex being allowed. 

Some people, especially business owners, have credit cards for work, and some other cards for personal usage. 

This actually makes accounting much easier, since everything can get too confusing about which charge is for work or for personal, especially if you are trying to recollect about a few charges that happened 11 months ago.

Some cards have different perks. For example a united card gives you a free checked bag.

Assuming those cards have no AF, or you can somehow utilize the card more than what the AF is, you're actually getting a "discount" on money otherwise you will be forced to spend.

It does makes things really confusing having to manage so many cards.

But technology has helped out in many ways.

The easiest way? Set up automatic payment in full. And you won't ever have to worry about missing a payment.

Make sure your checking account is funded of course.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 22
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

An additional perspective!  So appreciated and makes a lot of sense.  Thank you!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 22
theoldnocreditmaster
Valued Member

There are some other factors that come in to play as well.  However, when you apply for an auto loan, mortgage, home equity or even some cards such as Simmons First or Iberia Bank credit cards they do manual review of your profile with actual Underwriters, to verify income, debt etc.

Having multiple accounts with various lending institutions shows you are capable of paying your debts with them on time every time. If you can keep track of 8 credit accounts without carrying large balances, and never being late, you have a much better chance to negotiate rates, payment terms and other incentives offered by the creditor.

It also shows that you are capable of having well established relationships with other and sometimes diverse creditors.

In today’s world, creditors try to get you in the door, whether rewards based, discounts, 0% offerings etc. We have no choice except to have many accounts. For an example, if you have only two cards and want a new TV, but don’t want to empty your checking account to pay for it or pay interest because you have good credit, what do you do if Best Buy is offering 0% on the purchase with a Best Buy card?

You take advantage of it with your good credit. The next thing you know, you have another credit account. Same thing happens if you want a new riding mower from Tractor Supply with 0% financing. Your current cards offer no incentive to pay over time. Most reward based cards have high interest rates regardless of how good your credit is because they don’t want you to carry a balance. If you do, and pay any interest, your rewards become useless.   

Back in the day, there was always the stigma that if you have too much credit or too many credit cards, you could “max” them out and leave them holding the debt. They have internal controls to prevent that from happening. There’s no way you could max out all off your 8 or 10 credit cards without some form of adverse actions being launched by the creditor holding the debt or others that may be subject to be holding it.

Message 6 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I just have an unhealthy addiction. The problem that arises for me is, when i take out my wallet to pay for something, and a friend or family member sees all my cards they immediately assume I'm in debt. Hurts my ego.

So many people think that because you have a lot of cards, they're automatically all maxed out. Everyone always says "well why do you need all of them?"

Because i want 5% at restaurants, and bookstores, and gas, and home improvement, and restaurants again, and again, and gas again. XD... Mainly just because I can. Lol
Message 7 of 22
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

I really think it depends on how disciplined you are and how much control you excercise. I have a total of 5 (maybe 6) cards that I use and it helps me keeping track of where and how much I spend. I always have 1,200-1,400 in my checking account, so any charges I make, I'm sure I can pay it off. Sometimes, I decide to take cash out and how use it because I don't want to rack up a huge, huge bill in one month. It just depends, and how you handle your money and finances says a lot about who you are..IMO.

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 8 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@NY_Beauty wrote:

few reasons.

different cards give different bonuses for different types of purchases.

There's stuff in day to day life that one must buy. Some of those items cost the same regardless of how you pay (cash, credit, debit, etc).

If they are going to cost the same regardless of payment type, and you are forced to pay for it anyhow because you need it, then might as well use a credit card that maximizes the rewards you're going to get.  

Think of it as a "discount".

There are of course times where paying in cash or debit results in a bigger discount than using a credit card, i.e. shopping at costco, with the exception of amex being allowed. 

Some people, especially business owners, have credit cards for work, and some other cards for personal usage. 

This actually makes accounting much easier, since everything can get too confusing about which charge is for work or for personal, especially if you are trying to recollect about a few charges that happened 11 months ago.

Some cards have different perks. For example a united card gives you a free checked bag.

Assuming those cards have no AF, or you can somehow utilize the card more than what the AF is, you're actually getting a "discount" on money otherwise you will be forced to spend.

It does makes things really confusing having to manage so many cards.

But technology has helped out in many ways.

The easiest way? Set up automatic payment in full. And you won't ever have to worry about missing a payment.

Make sure your checking account is funded of course.

I think the reasons given here are the major reasons why people have multiple cards (and then there are those who get them to build self-imposed targets, 300K CL for example, but there are always addicts).

That said, it doesn't always make a whole lot of sense, as you add more and more cards for the special niche, the actual amount of money that card saves you becomes very small.  (e.g. a 5% saving on something you spend $50 a year, yes, you save $2.50.  Is it worth the hassle.  Up to the individual).

And each card has an implied monthly payment when it comes to mortgages (regardless of actual balance).  Having lots of cards can hurt in that situation.

Message 9 of 22
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I have 19 personal cards and 3 business cards and am only 22. I have no problem managing all of them and am contemplating adding more in a few months. Most were opened for bonuses or zero interest, but I use some depending on the cashback. Most have the standard 1% back and don't get used often, but all except one have a category where they earn more. The ones I don't use, I keep open for age since my history just turned three this April.

It's also good for me to be able to spread spending out throught the month and not have to pay before the statement closes all at once. Business cards are especially good at hiding debt, so I will likely never close those.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.