Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exception where only Discover Network is accepted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exception where only Discover Network is accepted

I don't post often, but I recently was at a store that only accepts Discover network credit cards.  It is Woodman's, which is a medium-sized grocery store chain in the midwest.  I have only been to two locations, but neither accepted Visa, Mastercard, nor Amex Network credit cards.  I realize this is a small exception on the grand scheme of things, not a large one like Costco only taking Visa.  Still, for those who continue to say that card network makes no or an insignificant difference, this appears to be another niche example where network does matter (and one of the few times Discover wins in the network battle).

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Green456
Established Contributor

Re: Exception where only Discover Network is accepted

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't post often, but I recently was at a store that only accepts Discover network credit cards.  It is Woodman's, which is a medium-sized grocery store chain in the midwest.  I have only been to two locations, but neither accepted Visa, Mastercard, nor Amex Network credit cards.  I realize this is a small exception on the grand scheme of things, not a large one like Costco only taking Visa.  Still, for those who continue to say that card network makes no or an insignificant difference, this appears to be another niche example where network does matter (and one of the few times Discover wins in the network battle).

Not an issue. Usually there is plenty of ATMs. I get to use any ATM in the country without fees. The only place that really makes a difference to me is gas stations because usually I’m in a hurry and I don’t feel like getting out of the car.

Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I once visited a lab to get a chest xray and they only accepted Discover, go figureSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not an issue. Usually there is plenty of ATMs. I get to use any ATM in the country without fees. The only place that really makes a difference to me is gas stations because usually I’m in a hurry and I don’t feel like getting out of the car.

But in Q1 losing out on the 5% is a pretty big chunk of change! Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I once visited a lab to get a chest xray and they only accepted Discover, go figureSmiley Wink

I guess I would want them to Discover what's going on! Better than medical offices where they send you out on the American Express!

Message 5 of 12
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But in Q1 losing out on the 5% is a pretty big chunk of change! Smiley Surprised

Depends on a person and their spending habits. I pay for everything with cash or debit. I save >5% that way.

Message 6 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

And Disco wouldn’t allow the charge, so you were forced into slavery to pay your debt to the lab, right? 

OP, that’s kind of crazy! I’ve never been to a store that didn’t accept MC or Visa! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 12
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting.  The last I knew Woodman's only took Debit cards, no credit.    Thats one reason I don't shop there.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Woodman's also has gas stations that take Discover-only as well.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on a person and their spending habits. I pay for everything with cash or debit. I save >5% that way.

Measured by psychological means?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.