Did you mean: 

FNBO Cancelled me!

tag
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

Re: FNBO Cancelled me!

@Anonymous514 wrote:

Always PIF and you can avoid future adverse action 

That's the thing about FNBO. It seems like plenty of people PIF and still face AA for seemingly no reason. 

Message 21 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lgtwriter wrote:

I agree that paying in full is the best way to go. But some lenders want to earn some interest.

Who do you include?  As I said earlier, obviously if there was no risk lenders would love to earn interest, but certainly most are content with th safety of being paid in full.   So which lenders "need" to earn interest to, what, give CLIs?

Message 22 of 30
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

@Beefy1212 wrote:

@KillingThemGingerly wrote:

FNBO seems to be like a jealous boyfriend, they want you to have their card and only their card, and to only use their card. 

I don't think this is the case I have 11 credit cards active my evergreen sees very little consistent use in June and July I even had 5-6/11 of those cards report a balance and they didn't bat an eye about giving me a CLI, my card already had a higher limit than both the cards OP listed combined. I am willing to bet if you really looked into that mega thread everyone of those users had something that is a bit of a red flag. OP mentioned he just bought a car and had several cards reporting a balance but still had less than "10% uti" some people on here have limits in the hundreds of thousands even millions it is naive to think just because your 100k debt might be less than 10% of your UTI, you have the income to justify your debt obligations or that lenders wouldn't take your DTI into consideration or the lack of progress in paying that debt down.

I would be very curious to see how OP's DTI looks in relation to that UTI, and for how long those balances have remained high or even trending upwards.

I'm glad it hasn't happened to you yet and I can do nothing more than take people in the megathread at their word that their cards were closed and limits were slashed without any solid reasoning like debt to income ratio or something like you mentioned above.

There were so many anecdotal posts in that thread from people that seemed dumbfounded that their account was closed or limit was slashed that I found it compelling and believe most of them weren't hiding some big baddie where the Adverse Action by FNBO would make sense. 

Here is a link to the 32 pg megathread if anyone wishes to read through it. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/FNBO-CLD-Master-Thread/td-p/6592259/page/5

Message 23 of 30
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

@Anonymous514 wrote:

That's the thing about FNBO. It seems like plenty of people PIF and still face AA for seemingly no reason. 

Never had an issue, I pay my Evergreen balance weekly...got 5k CLIs every time I called in. A lot of the people that had AA taken against them had used BT offers...and I'm willing to bet money most people didn't pay those off as quickly as FNBO wanted them to and hence the AA. If you look through the mega thread that is definitely a recurring theme, not all of them of course but it's a good number of them. I have never tranfered a balance but if I were to do it I sure as heck wouldn't use FNBO for that. A lot of people did because FNBO was being generous with starting limits so it seemed like it was okay but as it turns out...no it's not okay to do that and people just didn't catch on.

The other thing that will get attnetion from FNBO is extended periods of high utilization. Not just on FNBO's cards either. If you look like you are having trouble they will cut you off. FNBO definitely operates on the principle of FAFO. If you FA and then get mad when you FO...you only have yourself to blame.

8/22/24
Message 24 of 30
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

@Lou-natic wrote:

@Anonymous514 wrote:

Never had an issue, I pay my Evergreen balance weekly...got 5k CLIs every time I called in. A lot of the people that had AA taken against them had used BT offers...and I'm willing to bet money most people didn't pay those off as quickly as FNBO wanted them to and hence the AA. If you look through the mega thread that is definitely a recurring theme, not all of them of course but it's a good number of them. I have never tranfered a balance but if I were to do it I sure as heck wouldn't use FNBO for that. A lot of people did because FNBO was being generous with starting limits so it seemed like it was okay but as it turns out...no it's not okay to do that and people just didn't catch on.

The other thing that will get attnetion from FNBO is extended periods of high utilization. Not just on FNBO's cards either. If you look like you are having trouble they will cut you off. FNBO definitely operates on the principle of FAFO. If you FA and then get mad when you FO...you only have yourself to blame.

Again, I think there is lots of evidence they don't operate very logically often at no fault of the person when it comes to AA. However, I admit the evidence is mostly anecdotal. Lots of posts on Reddit talking about this sort of thing as well though. Way more so than other banks, all with very similar stories. Maybe I am just a skeptic and not wanting to give a large regional bank the benefit of the doubt here. 

Message 25 of 30
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Again, I think there is lots of evidence they don't operate very logically often at no fault of the person when it comes to AA. However, I admit the evidence is mostly anecdotal. Lots of posts on Reddit talking about this sort of thing as well though. Way more so than other banks, all with very similar stories. Maybe I am just a skeptic and not wanting to give a large regional bank the benefit of the doubt here. 

I think "fault of the person" is the wrong way to think about credit.

I'm not sure I can explain this clearly, but let me try: A lot of people seem to think of credit as a system of individual moral judgment. When we suffer AA, we take it very personally. If we feel we did something wrong, we might feel contrite or defensive, but if we don't think we did anything wrong, we feel affronted. As if we've been accused of doing something wrong, when we're innocent. Good or bad, it's seen as a reflection on us, personally.

Except we know that's not how decisions are made when it comes to credit. Underwriters aren't trying to reward or punish people based on their behavior. No, they're trying to mitigate risk, and they're making decisions based on the statistical behavior of groups.

The conflict between those two ways of thinking is why we tend to think the penalty when someone pays off an installment loan is unjust -- we  think we did something good by paying off one of our debts, so when we're punished instead of rewarded, it just feels wrong. But that's not how the lenders are thinking. They're looking at actuarial data that shows that people who have just paid off installment loans occasionally go on spending sprees and get themselves in trouble with credit, so to mitigate that risk they're making it slightly harder for people in a similar situation to get more credit. There's no intent to punish anyone, and it's based on what a small percentage of people in the same situation went on to do, instead of anything we did in particular.

The reason why FNBO cut all those credit lines is pretty clear: They saw the potential for bad economic times on the horizon, looked at the risk level of their aggregate exposure, and decided they needed to reduce it. This makes sense. CLs aren't free. Lenders have to put aside money to cover all that potential debt, which is dangerous when purses shrink or expenses jump. So how do they reduce their exposure? They came up with some criteria based on risk, perhaps based on a credit score, or DTI, or geolocation, or more likely a complex set of factors we'll never fully understand, and started cutting.

This isn't a reaction to anything any of the individuals who suffered AA did. The day before, FNBO was fine with all those credit profiles. But the day after they weren't, so CLs got cut. This also explains why other people continued to get CLIs, because it's not just about the total credit limits they have outstanding, but about the riskiness of the entire pool.

Also, I wouldn't call FNBO a large regional bank. They're about the 80th largest bank in the U.S., based on assets, and about 20 times smaller than the largest regional banks like PNC or Truist. They're not small -- there are thousands of banks in the U.S., so making the top 100 makes FNBO notable -- but the asset size going down that list falls off fast. I wouldn't say they're anything more than a mid-sized regional bank.

Message 26 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

I think "fault of the person" is the wrong way to think about credit.

I'm not sure I can explain this clearly, but let me try: A lot of people seem to think of credit as a system of individual moral judgment. When we suffer AA, we take it very personally. If we feel we did something wrong, we might feel contrite or defensive, but if we don't think we did anything wrong, we feel affronted. As if we've been accused of doing something wrong, when we're innocent. Good or bad, it's seen as a reflection on us, personally.

Except we know that's not how decisions are made when it comes to credit. Underwriters aren't trying to reward or punish people based on their behavior. No, they're trying to mitigate risk, and they're making decisions based on the statistical behavior of groups.

The conflict between those two ways of thinking is why we tend to think the penalty when someone pays off an installment loan is unjust -- we  think we did something good by paying off one of our debts, so when we're punished instead of rewarded, it just feels wrong. But that's not how the lenders are thinking. They're looking at actuarial data that shows that people who have just paid off installment loans occasionally go on spending sprees and get themselves in trouble with credit, so to mitigate that risk they're making it slightly harder for people in a similar situation to get more credit. There's no intent to punish anyone, and it's based on what a small percentage of people in the same situation went on to do, instead of anything we did in particular.

The reason why FNBO cut all those credit lines is pretty clear: They saw the potential for bad economic times on the horizon, looked at the risk level of their aggregate exposure, and decided they needed to reduce it. This makes sense. CLs aren't free. Lenders have to put aside money to cover all that potential debt, which is dangerous when purses shrink or expenses jump. So how do they reduce their exposure? They came up with some criteria based on risk, perhaps based on a credit score, or DTI, or geolocation, or more likely a complex set of factors we'll never fully understand, and started cutting.

This isn't a reaction to anything any of the individuals who suffered AA did. The day before, FNBO was fine with all those credit profiles. But the day after they weren't, so CLs got cut. This also explains why other people continued to get CLIs, because it's not just about the total credit limits they have outstanding, but about the riskiness of the entire pool.

Also, I wouldn't call FNBO a large regional bank. They're about the 80th largest bank in the U.S., based on assets, and about 20 times smaller than the largest regional banks like PNC or Truist. They're not small -- there are thousands of banks in the U.S., so making the top 100 makes FNBO notable -- but the asset size going down that list falls off fast. I wouldn't say they're anything more than a mid-sized regional bank.

^^^^^ This.

However, I would add that this MIGHT also translate into MyFico negative views.   If a bank is more sensitive than others (bec,ause of its size, market position or even because it does a very accurate evaluation of the economy) and so acts before others, it will be viewed as a less desirable lender.  As @Anonymalous notes, it's not because the bank thinks some people here did something wrong or are undesirable, it's just managing risk.    But, apart from the famous "for no reason" explanation, it CAN make sense to avoid them in favor of say TBTF banks that might well get into to trouble, but are less likely to take AA to avoid it.   Hence, in a twist, MF punishing a bank for doing the right thing!

Message 27 of 30
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

However, I would add that this MIGHT also translate into MyFico negative views.   If a bank is more sensitive than others (bec,ause of its size, market position or even because it does a very accurate evaluation of the economy) and so acts before others, it will be viewed as a less desirable lender.  As @Anonymalous notes, it's not because the bank thinks some people here did something wrong or are undesirable, it's just managing risk.    But, apart from the famous "for no reason" explanation, it CAN make sense to avoid them in favor of say TBTF banks that might well get into to trouble, but are less likely to take AA to avoid it.   Hence, in a twist, MF punishing a bank for doing the right thing!

Definitely. I'm just arguing against taking it as a personal affront. From a practical standpoint, they're still cutting CLs. Their sensitivity is something to factor in when making credit decisions.

Message 28 of 30
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

FNBO will close cards for non use as well as I mentioned above.

Message 29 of 30
One2spooku
Valued Member

I shred their offers now. They balance chased me once when my utiliztion spiked (moving). I paid their card in full and ignored it for a year or two. They did some weird stuff when I started using it again.   Either they closed it or I closed it. They mail me frequently. I don't need an unstable bank, I can manage my utilization and decide what is needed. AA can always create a domino effect. I deal with synchrony but when I have a balance I'm always watching and ready to close out the balance. I was in bed with synchrony prior, they haven't done anything weird. I would compare FNBO to an untrusting partner. You lose your job and they move out while you attend a job interview. You get the new higher paying job but crazy moved out already haha.  It's strictly business and risk mitigation, I mitigate the AA risk by avoiding them. Ideally its strictly business on both sides I think. 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.