Did you mean: 

FNBO First Bank Maximum Rewards MC?

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

FNBO First Bank Maximum Rewards MC?

Today's mail brought something from First Bank; its letter starts out with:

"Dear SoCalGardener,

This special offer is not for everyone. Thanks to your credit history, you're pre-screened for the First Bank Maximum Rewards Mastercard with a 0% intro APR on purchases AND balance transfers until June 2023."

It goes on to say that it's issued by FNBO and has exceptional benefits, making it one of the most valuable cards I can carry!

Uh-huh... 

I have no personal experience with FNBO at all, unless you count seeing its name sprinkled here and there on this forum. Its 0% intro offer on purchases and BTs is nice, but I'd hardly call that 'exceptional,' and its CB rate is a paltry 1%.

I'd love to hear any input anyone might have with this particular card, and also with FNBO in general--likes, dislikes, kudos, complaints, whatever. I inadvertently stopped gardening recently, so a hard pull wouldn''t be the end of the world, but I'd rather avoid one unless the card is really worth it!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FNBO First Bank Maximum Rewards MC?

Sounds like you received their run-of-the-mill 1% c/b offer.

Obviously, the most recent and popular FNBO card appears to be their Evergreen Visa followed by the Getaway MC. There are over 70 posts on FNBO (Applications, Credit Cards or Approvals) that can give you more in-depth perspectives on how folks rate FNBO and their recent offerings in general. They have a pre-qualification portal, and no, it is not like the 90s or early 2000's as far as "true" pre-approvals. But, folks seem to obtain some positive outcomes (for the most part).

You can start here (or you can search by "FNBO" on any subforum section):

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/FNBO-Rewards-Pre-Qual-App-Data-Points-UPDA...

Message 2 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

You just reminded me, @FinStar, that they're the bank that sent me the 'very impressive-looking' black mailer last year! I didn't put two and two together until reading your reply. I never did figure out what was so exceptional about that offer, either! It seems like they *tout* how exceptional their cards are without actually doing anything that MAKES them exceptional. A 1% CB rate? I don't think so!

And, yes, the good old days some of us old geezers remember, when pre-approved meant exactly what it said... Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SoCalGardener wrote:

You just reminded me, @FinStar, that they're the bank that sent me the 'very impressive-looking' black mailer last year! I didn't put two and two together until reading your reply. I never did figure out what was so exceptional about that offer, either! It seems like they *tout* how exceptional their cards are without actually doing anything that MAKES them exceptional. A 1% CB rate? I don't think so!

And, yes, the good old days some of us old geezers remember, when pre-approved meant exactly what it said... Smiley Happy

Yes, I recall you had received a very glitzy invitation a while back.

If you're in the market for a new card, FNBO would be a good fit, IMO. They have a prequalification that pretty much will show you the CL you'd be approved for (rarely fluctuates unless FNBO determines a more adequate CL upon manual review -- rare instances though). Moreover, FNBO is known for SP CLIs (when requested over the phone via an agent, usually generous with good history). Well-established lender.

But, you can check it out for yourself to see if it's the right fit plus their T&C's are very straightforward -- no gimmicks.

https://www.fnbo.com/personal-banking/credit-cards/evergreen/

Overall, unlimited 2% cashback (no rewards expiration), 0% intro on both purchases & BTs for 12 months, no AF, $200 SUB (after $1,000 spend within the first 3 billing cycles).

Message 4 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Yes, I recall you had received a very glitzy invitation a while back.

That's hilarious--your memory is much better than mine! I seriously had no recollection at all of the name FNBO when I opened that letter yesterday, other than seeing its name on the boards.  That's okay, I blame it on three things: old age plus two traumas my brain survived, a brain tumor (and its removal) and sepsis (which shut down three other organs). So what if I don't remember every little detail any more like I used to, right?! Smiley Very Happy

@FinStar wrote:

If you're in the market for a new card, FNBO would be a good fit, IMO. They have a prequalification that pretty much will show you the CL you'd be approved for (rarely fluctuates unless FNBO determines a more adequate CL upon manual review -- rare instances though). Moreover, FNBO is known for SP CLIs (when requested over the phone via an agent, usually generous with good history). Well-established lender.

But, you can check it out for yourself to see if it's the right fit plus their T&C's are very straightforward -- no gimmicks.

https://www.fnbo.com/personal-banking/credit-cards/evergreen/

Overall, unlimited 2% cashback (no rewards expiration), 0% intro on both purchases & BTs for 12 months, no AF, $200 SUB (after $1,000 spend within the first 3 billing cycles).

Thanks, I may take a look. Or not. My one HP will be falling off (TU) next month, and I really don't want any new ones. They bug me!!

Message 5 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

I just followed the pre-qual link @FinStar provided, and I was approved for two cards, the Evergreen and something else...  Their limits are quite low, around $5,000--which is a lot less than the $10,000 I'm shooting for on all cards--but their APRs and assorted perks are very nice. I totally understand why their limits are as low as they are--I'm currently in multi.....multi.....tens of thousands of dollars of CC debt! So, to be honest, I'm surprised they approved me at all.

But I'm not going to go through with the app. I don't want a HP in return for a low-limit card. As noted upthread, to take a HP the card would have to be really extraordinary. But down the road, I'll certainly consider FNBO....if I remember, that is! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 11
jmcherr
Established Member

Wow their site reminds me a whole lot of DCU. 

Message 7 of 11
Reithe
Valued Member

I actually received the same offer, but their website doesn't mention anything about this particular card... although the 1% cash back isn't exactly a strong selling point. Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Reithe wrote:

I actually received the same offer, but their website doesn't mention anything about this particular card... although the 1% cash back isn't exactly a strong selling point. Smiley Indifferent

I know, right?! They make it sound like such a great, extraordinary, magnificent card.......and it has a whopping 1% CB rate....  Huh? What am I missing?

Message 9 of 11
Reithe
Valued Member

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Reithe wrote:

I know, right?! They make it sound like such a great, extraordinary, magnificent card.......and it has a whopping 1% CB rate....  Huh? What am I missing?

You're really "maximizing" your rewards with that rate. Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.