Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest BT option?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fastest BT option?

I want to do a BT with Discover and BoA. I have checks from Discover, so I'm going to use those to deposit the money into my checking account and go from there. With BoA, however, I don't have any checks. I have the option online of doing a BT to my checking account, or the standard option of BT to a specific card or creditor.

My question is which is faster? Is it better to have the money sent to my checking account, or just have BoA send it to the creditor?

Also, with the transfer fee, is it added to my credit card balance or is it charged to my bank account? It's been a while since I've done a BT and I can't remember.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Fastest BT option?

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to do a BT with Discover and BoA. I have checks from Discover, so I'm going to use those to deposit the money into my checking account and go from there. With BoA, however, I don't have any checks. I have the option online of doing a BT to my checking account, or the standard option of BT to a specific card or creditor.

My question is which is faster? Is it better to have the money sent to my checking account, or just have BoA send it to the creditor?

Also, with the transfer fee, is it added to my credit card balance or is it charged to my bank account? It's been a while since I've done a BT and I can't remember.

I'm sure it's faster to put it in checking.

The balance transfer fee will be charged to the credit card account.

Total revolving limits 589000 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 2 of 4
SummerOf17
Regular Contributor

I just went thru this.

BT from Disco to Chase >> 7 days

BT From Amex to Chase >> 12 days

Drove me bunkers, lost ~$30 in interest on Amex. Smiley Sad

Much faster if you just deposit a cheque(amount) into checking(2-3 days max to clear) and then make a payment to the card(account) from that account if it is listed as method of payment(receiving end).

My Take on it was not to wait to do it. Diff CC Issuers take their sweet time to apply the payment claiming the BT cheque was sent by mail and there was a delay. Seeing BT payment posted onto your BT account does not mean it is all done and could mean there will be an extra 5-7 days till it shows up on the receiving end.

Message 3 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I find with Boa or Disco, having it directly deposited into my checking is very fast.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.