Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally starting to get some prequals/preapprovals from Amex and Discover

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Finally starting to get some prequals/preapprovals from Amex and Discover

I'm inching closer and closer to mid-August where I was planning to app for the Amex Hilton Honors card and I decided to check the preapproval page yesterday. Finally saw a prequal for the Everyday and BCE come up with a fixed rate. Decided to try it again on my phone this time to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Welp...it popped up again for me. 

So, I decided to check Discover preapproval page since in a way, I might need a BT for my Chase FU card in the future. Sure enough, I was preapproved for the Cash Back and Chrome, both cards with a fixed rate as well.

It's tempting, but I'm staying the course for another week or two for my scores to update because the main card I need is the Hilton Honors and maybe one of the charge cards. I could app for the BCE by the end of the year and then upgrade a year or two later to the BCP. But, I see myself using the Savor cards a little more because of the cashback for entertainment.

Thought I would share this because I know how exciting it can be for folks when they finally get a prequal or preapproval for a card brand they really want. And I'll keep you all updated on when I do app for Amex soon. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finally starting to get some prequals/preapprovals from Amex and Discover

Congrats - feels great to be taken seriously by the big boys doesn’t it?

I will tell you, look long and hard at Hilton Surpass. I have it and the base Hilton card (which I had gotten first), and had I crunched the numbers properly last November, I’d have skipped the base card and gone directly to the Surpass. The earnings structure accelerates your point accumulation, you get Gold instead of Silver status, and the $95 AF I feel can easily be offset by this. I can’t really justify the Aspire’s $450 AF but the Surpass is easy to get the value from in my eyes.
Message 2 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

He's right. If I can't get the Bonvoy, I may fall back to Hilton, and the surpass is a better value.

Message 3 of 10
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats - feels great to be taken seriously by the big boys doesn’t it?

I will tell you, look long and hard at Hilton Surpass. I have it and the base Hilton card (which I had gotten first), and had I crunched the numbers properly last November, I’d have skipped the base card and gone directly to the Surpass. The earnings structure accelerates your point accumulation, you get Gold instead of Silver status, and the $95 AF I feel can easily be offset by this. I can’t really justify the Aspire’s $450 AF but the Surpass is easy to get the value from in my eyes.

Yes, it does feel good since I've been interested with Amex since last year. 

Though I'm trying to avoid AF cards (unless I get a Amex charge card), I have read up on the HH Surpass. I don't stay at the real fancy Hiltons but tend to go for Doubletree or Home2 Suites when possible. I'll have to check up on the math to see if that's a good option for me. I guess I can always see about upgrading to it later on if I get the HH card. 

Message 4 of 10
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Just know (this is kinda do what I say not what I do) the longer you wait, the better the offers.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t stay at the red-carpet places either - I’m almost 100% Hampton Inn and the card has been perfect. I think the places you mentioned also offer complimentary room upgrades with the Surpass.
Message 6 of 10
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

And if I remembered correctly, if someone apps for two Amex card (say a revolver one day and then app for a charge card five days later), the second app is only a SP? And is five days enough to spread the app out for the SP?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s said that you shouldn’t count on SP approvals until after the second statement cuts. You may be looking at a HP earlier than that. My first two were apped 90 min apart or less and I got them both on one shared HP. These were on the same calendar day. Another member apped just before midnight for his first one, and just after midnight for his second, and got two HPs.

Food for thought.
Message 8 of 10
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It’s said that you shouldn’t count on SP approvals until after the second statement cuts. You may be looking at a HP earlier than that. My first two were apped 90 min apart or less and I got them both on one shared HP. These were on the same calendar day. Another member apped just before midnight for his first one, and just after midnight for his second, and got two HPs.

Food for thought.

So I guess if I do decide to app on both cards, I should do it either on the same day or after the second statement to try to get a SP on the 2nd app. Waiting to do the 2nd app might be a litte better for me, but we'll see soon.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big congratulations!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.