Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut

tag
Mrflip09
Established Member

Fingerhut

Credit karma says i have good approval odds.... and that i need more credit cards on my report to increase my credit and from what i understand it's good to have different types of cards showing.... anybody have any advice...i have 1 secured card from my bank.... line of credit from my bank..[baxter credit union) ....cap one on its way..... and credit one on its way...
Starting Score: 603
Current Score: 603
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Ex. 603
Eq. 575
Trans. 591
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Fingerhut

@Mrflip09 wrote:
Credit karma says i have good approval odds.... and that i need more credit cards on my report to increase my credit and from what i understand it's good to have different types of cards showing.... anybody have any advice...i have 1 secured card from my bank.... line of credit from my bank..[baxter credit union) ....cap one on its way..... and credit one on its way...

You dont. Credit Karma gets their money from peddling different cards/products. 

You have three revolving accounts. It's good enough for now. 

Let them age. When they reach about a year, or maybe even sooner, you will have a chance at better cards

Do yourself a favor and forget Credit Karma for anything other than monitoring your reports. CK has ruined more early rebuilds than Credit One and First Premier combined. 

Message 2 of 12
Mrflip09
Established Member

Ok thanks.. how has credit one and first premier ruined credit rebuilds

Ex. 603
Eq. 575
Trans. 591
Message 3 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Mrflip09 wrote:
Ok thanks.. how has credit one and first premier ruined credit rebuilds

Search around for predatory lending practices. Those two may be necessary in the early rebuild, but should be closed as soon as better opportunities come around. 

Watch for fees on top of fees, on top of fees. No grace period. Sky high apr. It adds up if card is actually being used versus a token monthly bubble gum purchase. 

Message 4 of 12
Mrflip09
Established Member

Yeah i just got the credit one too help my credit... increase my overall credit limit....i don't need it.....i am still debating on even activating it since it's 99 annual fee

Ex. 603
Eq. 575
Trans. 591
Message 5 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would not bother with finger hut.

Stick with low or no fee unsecured bank cards from this point on.

I would check Capital One, Merrick Bank, Discover, and Amex for prequalifications each month.

Those are good banks with real cards that do not require perfect credit.

Maybe 1 or 2 store cards if you shop there a lot and they have great rewards (lowes, amazon, etc.)

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 12
Mrflip09
Established Member

I can't get any unsecured cards as of now... well credit one is unsecured.... even my credit union declined a unsercured card....... but my girl friend has a lower score then me and just got a quicksiler cap one for 500 unsecured.....i don't get it lol

Ex. 603
Eq. 575
Trans. 591
Message 7 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Just wait.

Keep checking Capital One, Discover, Merrick Bank, Amex each month.

6-12 months of good acct reporting should help a lot.

What negatives are on your report?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 12
nax
Regular Contributor

Had a friend sign up for Credit One last month. I explained the annual fee to her, she got the card in the mail and never activated it. About a week ago she got a statment with the anual fee due. If you don't want that card in your spread I would make sure to give them a call because it seems they will still bill you that annual fee weather you activate the card or not.

Message 9 of 12
Mrflip09
Established Member

I got credit one.....sprint.....progressive ...cap 1 ... total of about $1300.... all in collections..... but about to pay off the cap one from portfolio recovery and get it off my report.... and have an offer to pay the credit one for 70% off but need to see about getting a pay for delete

Ex. 603
Eq. 575
Trans. 591
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.