Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GUIDANCE PLEASE: Do I even want AVANT?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GUIDANCE PLEASE: Do I even want AVANT?

Do I even want it? Thoughts?

It's kindah nice that at least one of the CC offers I got in the mail is for one card which has NAF: AVANT. 

I'm not in love with it because I'd have to take a HP (I'm already leaning towards a NO to the offer...), the SL is up to $2K but no promises. APR is Gack, 29.99% but I typically PIF. 

No Rewards. 

That's the clincher. 

For the folks who HAVE an AVANT card, why do you have it? How were the SL's, please?

How long are you keeping it for? Did you ever get the APR reduced? 

I'm thinking I can do better with my CU's as well PenFed were I ever to join. 

Just hoping the folks who got the AVANT Card might chime in for why they have it, please? 🙏🏻

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: GUIDANCE PLEASE: Do I even want AVANT?

@Anonymous wrote:

It's kindah nice that at least one of the CC offers I got in the mail is for one card which has NAF: AVANT. 

I'm not in love with it because I'd have to take a HP (I'm already leaning towards a NO to the offer...), the SL is up to $2K but no promises. APR is Gack, 29.99% but I typically PIF. 

No Rewards. 

That's the clincher. 

For the folks who HAVE an AVANT card, why do you have it? How were the SL's, please?

Just hoping the folks who got the AVANT Card might chime in for why they have it, please? 🙏🏻

No. Just no.

Think of the long game. Do not become short sighted. You have NFCU in your back pocket.

Message 2 of 11
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No Rewards. 

That's the clincher. 

No. Just no.

Think of the long game. Do not become short sighted. You have NFCU in your back pocket.

+1 to the no. While it is certainly a great feeling to receive pre-approvals, you have to keep in mind as your profile improves you will start to receive more of them with increasingly enticing offers. You have to smile and feel good that someone offered to extend you credit, but just like @AllZero said, you have to look at the bigger picture. Sit down and figure out what cards you want to app for over the next year, or even two years. Set goals for what that will look like with realistic time frames. If you let yourself cave in to every crummy rebuilder offer that comes along, you will never ever be able to land those goal cards. If you end up with a slew of rebuilder cards you do not need, that will make you look worse to prime lenders on future apps, NOT better. Rebuilder cards are a necessary evil sometimes, but less is always more. When it comes to the sub-prime, take only what is absolutely necessary for your rebuild. Do not apply for anything else until you have set yourself up to app for your next goal card to the best of your abilities. Smiley Happy 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 11
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Please, No, your past the point of needing something like this....

As someone previously mentioned, You got a NFCU card.....

Plus I saw a Disco card as well......

And a few rebuilder cards that are becoming past their prime....

A bit more time, a bit of patience,  you can do much better..... youve outgrown Avant IMHO

-J

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed on the No. talk to your local CU. For what it's worth, my scores were where yours are when my local CU gave me a $5000 Visa last year...

Message 5 of 11
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes pass on that . Don't make the mistake that a lot of people make when rebuilding, get as many cards as possible no matter what they are.

You have some decent cards now let them grow and resist trying to get X amount of cards .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 11
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No Rewards. 

That's the clincher. 

I would personally skip it. You already have two solid secured cards (NFCU and Disco) that will graduate and continue to serve you in the long term. With your FICO Scores at or near "Good" (670+), you don't need any subprime or "rebuilder" cards. Continue letting your current cards age and you'll start to get better offers from prime lenders. 

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 7 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous, Hard Pass!!!!

Message 8 of 11
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous, Hard Pass!!!!

What Mr Smart said!

I did have one (hanging head in shame).  300 limit, no growth, annoying website.  If you paid it off every month, they held your funds.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 9 of 11
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I'll add to the chorus of no. Can't think what this card would offer you, other than being excited to receive an offer. I know that can feel good after going a long time feeling like a credit leper. But you already have better cards that this and you'll be able to get most cards you might want soon. JMO.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.