cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help..Amex decrease my CL on one card when I applied & was approved for a cash Rewards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help..Amex decrease my CL on one card when I applied & was approved for a cash Rewards.

I have a Amex Delta Plat card for over 5 years with 25K limit. I applied for a Cash Rewards card and they gave me 25K limit on the new card Cash Rewards card, but decrease my delta card to 12K. I have a strong report at over 800 & they did not hit my report with any  inquires. 

Not sure if i should ask to have my delta card put back to were it was at 25K and accept the new rewards card 12K.  Not sure if it make a diffeance on my report. Any info would greatly appricated. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help..Amex decrease my CL on one card when I applied & was approved for a cash Rewards.

Yes, you can have them change the limit back, but you'd have to reach out to the new accounts department for them to look into it. This is one of those situations that if you haven't been using the Delta Platinum as much, they typically can reallocate limits on existing cards to approve a new card with a higher SL.

Are you using the Delta Platinum extensively?

Message 2 of 10
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help..Amex decrease my CL on one card when I applied & was approved for a cash Rewards.

I had that with them... but with smaller lines,   when they issued me a new $6,000 card (BLCpref),  they reduced the amount from another card and deducted it from $12,000.... but wasn't told that right away on approval but I found out after  receiving a letter in the mail.   (which I obviously was not happy about)..... who needs 2 cards for the same limit instead of one?

I called and told them if that was the case.... I did not want the new card,  The agent was nice, and they kept the new card limit ( at $6k ),  and put the initial card back to where it was ( at $12k ).   A few months later I  had the $6k card increased to $10,000....  however your situation IS /may be totally different & I am in no way saying you should do that. 

I just thought I'd share my experience on a similar situation.

Message 3 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FishingGuy wrote:

..... who needs 2 cards for the same limit instead of one?

Um, normal people?   For those not into scoring and growing lines, it could just be that the new card would offer better rewards for some portion of the spend, so having both sharing the same total credit limit is still valuable.

Message 4 of 10
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah this has happened to me as well.  I just went on the website and transferred available credit to readjust the limits the way I wanted them.

Message 5 of 10
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@FishingGuy wrote:

I had that with them... but with smaller lines,   when they issued me a new $6,000 card (BLCpref),  they reduced the amount from another card and deducted it from $12,000.... but wasn't told that right away on approval but I found out after  receiving a letter in the mail.   (which I obviously was not happy about)..... who needs 2 cards for the same limit instead of one?

I called and told them if that was the case.... I did not want the new card,  The agent was nice, and they kept the new card limit ( at $6k ),  and put the initial card back to where it was ( at $12k ).   A few months later I  had the $6k card increased to $10,000....  however your situation IS /may be totally different & I am in no way saying you should do that. 

I just thought I'd share my experience on a similar situation.

Same here.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a cash magnet card and thy did the same. I have a Everyday card with 21k and they moved it down to 12.6k and approved the new card for 15k. It's annoying that they didn't tell me and I caught it online. I was going to readjust but wanted to pay the balance before it reported the new credit line

Message 7 of 10
RickNATL
Established Contributor

Had the asame happen to me...I wasn't using enough of the older card's (Delta) credit line, so they moved a portion to the new card (Bonvoy).

Message 8 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Amex Delta Plat card for over 5 years with 25K limit. I applied for a Cash Rewards card and they gave me 25K limit on the new card Cash Rewards card, but decrease my delta card to 12K. I have a strong report at over 800 & they did not hit my report with any  inquires. 

Not sure if i should ask to have my delta card put back to were it was at 25K and accept the new rewards card 12K.  Not sure if it make a diffeance on my report. Any info would greatly appricated. 

Congrats on the new card with no HP.

AMEX will reallocate limits on revolvers when approving a new card. In this case, your total credit limit with them went up to $37k, so congrats for that too. 

With AMEX they are the easiest to work with for both increasing limits, and for allowing you to self-allocate limits between cards periodically.  I think it's a 6-month wait for such moves, but in this case you should be able to do the reallocation soon after you activate the new card.  The assigned limits to a card won't make an immediate impact on your score unless you had a substantial balance on the Delta Platinum. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the new card with no HP.

AMEX will reallocate limits on revolvers when approving a new card. In this case, your total credit limit with them went up to $37k, so congrats for that too. 

With AMEX they are the easiest to work with for both increasing limits, and for allowing you to self-allocate limits between cards periodically.  I think it's a 6-month wait for such moves, but in this case you should be able to do the reallocation soon after you activate the new card.  The assigned limits to a card won't make an immediate impact on your score unless you had a substantial balance on the Delta Platinum. 

CL reallocations are typically limited to one (1) every 30 days.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.