Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help getting CLI from Cap One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help getting CLI from Cap One

I was doing $800-$900/mo spend on my Savor with a $27,500 limit. Applied for a CLI a few months ago. My last CLI was in 2009. Denied for reason of not enough spend. I have a better shot at whipping full court basketball shots into the hoop than getting CLIs from them. 

But in reality,  I don't need one. And they know that. It's mostly a dining, entertainment, and international card right now. I'm not going to use half of that line in any given month.

They have been very good to me. My rate has been single digits for the last 10 years. Currently 8.65%. My Savor card is 4% cash back on dining and entertainment with no AF. They've come through immediately with a dispute (called them once,  they put a permanent credit before even investigating the case). They treat me well.

That's more important than getting a CLI that I don't need. In your case, if you really need it, you might be able to easily get to the top of your CL. I can't. If you can and you're not bucketed, you have a much better chance of getting one.

Message 11 of 15
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One wants to see you regularly using the card's limit for the prior 6 months when asking for a CLI. You can't trick the algorithm by boosting spend for one or two months. Growing Capital One cards is a long game and not really worth it when there are other cards out there that will grow much quicker with much less spend and have better rewards. Maybe look into the PayPal Cashback card. Synchrony cards can grow like weeds and you'll earn 2% on every purchase. 

I absolutely LOVE my PayPal 2% MC! However, I started with a really low limit, I think at like $300, and it took a while to get it to just $10,000. I got it last year around Sept/Oct 2018, and I just got the limit up to $10k a week or so ago. I put A LOT of use into this card, but I also messed up when requesting CLI's by only putting small amounts. Now I just shoot for the moon and take whatever they'll give me. They seem to give me a CLI every 4 months or so. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One wants to see you regularly using the card's limit for the prior 6 months when asking for a CLI. You can't trick the algorithm by boosting spend for one or two months. Growing Capital One cards is a long game and not really worth it when there are other cards out there that will grow much quicker with much less spend and have better rewards. Maybe look into the PayPal Cashback card. Synchrony cards can grow like weeds and you'll earn 2% on every purchase. 

I absolutely LOVE my PayPal 2% MC! However, I started with a really low limit, I think at like $300, and it took a while to get it to just $10,000. I got it last year around Sept/Oct 2018, and I just got the limit up to $10k a week or so ago. I put A LOT of use into this card, but I also messed up when requesting CLI's by only putting small amounts. Now I just shoot for the moon and take whatever they'll give me. They seem to give me a CLI every 4 months or so. 

You got that $300 card to $10K way quicker than a Capital One card would grow. 😂 

Message 13 of 15
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous, I've been fine with 3 to 3.5 months of solid spending.

@Dylan1, how much have you been spending during previous months? I think spending a bit over 1k per month for 3 to 3.5 months could net a 1k CLI. It's possible that your card is in a starter bucket as mentioned. But the fact that your current limit is over 1k offers reason for hope.

^ +1

Ditto. Last several increases the card went from SD to fairly heavy regular use for about three months before they would approve CLI.  I'm working it a little right now and hope for a final bump from $22K to $25K within 30 days.  I probably won't push it higher than that.  And that card was approved as a Platinum at a pathetic $1K about 10 years ago.  I never even used it at all for years since I got it for a BT offer and then it was useless for that with the low limit. Eventually PC'd to QS and started using and growing it.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I gave up. mine Cap one QS cl is $750. That's my oldest card, using it all the time so i can try increasing the cl, but cap one rejected again last month, saying not enough spending.... I have several cards way over 10k cl, even chase gave me 24k for CFU, a visa siguare card! I'm not asking much, above $1000 is good, 2000 would be perfect. Anyway. I'm not going to use it anymore, putting hulu on it and thats it. Won't get any cap one card in future.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.