Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me choose just one more CC

tag
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

Re: Help me choose just one more CC

US Bank Cash+, hands down. Even if they only give you the US Bank Cash Rewards, they usually start you off with a very nice CL. My Cash Reward CL was higher than all of my existing CL's, at least.

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 30
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@irving_magik wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I actually recommend you get Sapphire and Cash+.

Sapphire is a no brainer since it also uses UR mall. Which means you can cash out those UR points faster by combining points earned on Freedom to Sapphire.

Cash+ for ability to pick two 5% categories. Pick bill pay and another category (home improvement if you have a local Lowe's that sells various gift cards).

Citi Dividend is a bit different than Chase Freedom in that it has $50 redemption threshold and annual cashback limit of $300. Because of the threshold and you don't get to know rotating categories until 2 weeks before the next quarter (makes it hard to plan ahead), I recommend you skip over it.

Good to know this about the dividend  card....I'll go ahead and skip this one. 

Can you get the trifecta with a regular Sapphire? You dont have to have the prefered? I know you won't get 2x the points. But can you still benefit from transferring points from freedom? Do you still get the 7% dividend? 

Actually the $300 annual max is only on non-category spending and on non Shop Citi website spending.  

There is NO max on 5% Category spending like the Chase Freedom, which has a max of $1500.

If you shop on the Citi site, there is no max either.

So, in all actuallity, you can earn more than the $300 annual max every year.

Message 12 of 30
distantarray
Established Contributor

I say Chase Sapphire because remember your BCP card will provide 3% gas when your Freedom card gives you  6.25+% if you have the trifecta.

5% for gas and 25% bonus for travel when transfered to Chase Sapphire = 6.25% which makes it the best gas card out there 6 months out of the year (basing it off this year's rewards) 

so if you alternate between Freedom and BCP you'll average 4.625%  for the year, and don't forget the 10/10 Freedom bonus so you'll be closer to 5% which is the best rates for cards in the market right now.

But since your BCP is your go to card, remember Sapphire also gets 2.675% on a point spent on restaurants hotel and travel. (7% bonus and 25% more for travel) . Also don't forget the generous $500 travel bonus for Sapphire for sign up. Also Sapphire has 0% foreign transaction fees so it's a great card to have for travel. 

it's actually funny cause I have these cards

Freedom

Sapphire

checking

Amex BCP

Navy Federal Patinum (balance transfer card high limit low apr)

the only card I want now is US BANK cash+ which i'll apply for in 6months. So out of everything I can really say go for thse cards cause that's what I did myself, and I'm obsessed with credit cards lol and bonuses. 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does the addition of another Big Bank card help balance a limited portfolio? None of the other recommendations consider the much higher APR for purchases and cash advances. It's always rewards, rewards and PIFing. Sometimes life doesn't go as planned and a good insurance backup card is needed.Credit cards should not be thought of as fashion or influence statements but, rather an integral instrument of financial planning.

@Anonymous wrote:

Add at leas t one credit union card with low APR for purchases and cash advances if it should be needed. Look at DCU, SDFCU and PenFed for starters. Good luck.

Message 14 of 30
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How does the addition of another Big Bank card help balance a limited portfolio? None of the other recommendations consider the much higher APR for purchases and cash advances. It's always rewards, rewards and PIFing. Sometimes life doesn't go as planned and a good insurance backup card is needed.Credit cards should not be thought of as fashion or influence statements but, rather an integral instrument of financial planning.

@Anonymous wrote:

Add at leas t one credit union card with low APR for purchases and cash advances if it should be needed. Look at DCU, SDFCU and PenFed for starters. Good luck.

lol look up a little bit, i posted about my navy federal as my balancce transfer card Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 30
distantarray
Established Contributor

but benton also remember that everyone SHOULD have a 6 month to a year extra funds , and shouldn't over charge things they can not afford, so it really shouldn't be nessasary, but just incase I have one anyways.

I have 2 years of extra funds + Navy Federal. and No i'm not rich i'm just making 55k a year, but I don't live lavishly and save  a lot, always hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

Message 16 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

Actually the $300 annual max is only on non-category spending and on non Shop Citi website spending.  

There is NO max on 5% Category spending like the Chase Freedom, which has a max of $1500.

You are partially wrong. $300 annual limit DOES include 5% bonus categories. Only bonus cashback earned through Citi online portal is not subjected to $300 annual limit.

Unless the offer you received indicates otherwise, you may accumulate a maximum of 300 Dividend Dollars in any calendar year (eligible transactions appearing on your January - December billing statements) payable in checks of $50 increments only upon your request . Dividend Dollars earned on purchases through the Citi Bonus Cash Center are not subject to the $300 calendar year maximum accumulation.

Message 17 of 30
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

You are partially wrong. $300 annual limit DOES include 5% bonus categories. Only bonus cashback earned through Citi online portal is not subjected to $300 annual limit.

Unless the offer you received indicates otherwise, you may accumulate a maximum of 300 Dividend Dollars in any calendar year (eligible transactions appearing on your January - December billing statements) payable in checks of $50 increments only upon your request . Dividend Dollars earned on purchases through the Citi Bonus Cash Center are not subject to the $300 calendar year maximum accumulation.

I think you're right.

They just changed this.  It use to be that 5% cats did not count and was unlimited.  This was there standard offer.  I guessed it just changed this month.

What a bummer.  Dividend is now not very competitive.

Message 18 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Cash + or discover more or CSP.... all good choices.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Problem is, it quickly adds up to a huge debt for people in financial hardship. I don't believe in the idea of using credit card if you are in financial trouble.

But for the sake of the argument this is where Citi credit card shines. If you maintain good payment history on these Citi cards Citi constantly sends you 0% BT and purchase offer. You can use these offers to do a direct deposit without incuring cash advance fee and APR.

@ccnewcc wrote:

I think you're right.

They just changed this.  It use to be that 5% cats did not count and was unlimited.  This was there standard offer.  I guessed it just changed this month.

It's actually been that way for a while. My TY Preferred card (see signature below) was originally a Dividend card from 05/2011 and it already imposed $300 limit back then.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.