Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Home Depot

# Everyday offer--no payments, no interest for six months on all purchases of $299 or more
# APR for purchases is 21% and 15.48% for purchases of $2,000 or more

Yikes, I'm sorry. Am I reading this wrong?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 20
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

Oh, looks like the limit is $2000. I will look at it some more....thanks...
TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 12 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to drop a bomb. But that was why I couldn't decide between the store card and the MC. I dropped almost $9K on the hardwood flooring and carpeting and installation. The 0% looks great for appliances, though, and mine are visibly dying, so I would probably wind up using one that way.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the HD card is awesome.   I have a 2500 limit and I've had it since 05.  They just had a special deal going on (may still be going on) where you even get a nice percentage off your purchase for using it AND 12 months no payments/no interest.   I've used mine on appliances and got 10% off. 

The new promo is 20% off anything over 499.   I'm eyeing a snow blower that is 500 exactly and this next snow storm might push me over the edge.  That's a hundred bucks off just for using the card!  Tough to beat.
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Thanks, ducky!

Am I reading it right that the 0% for $299 or more is only good up to $2000, and then a big fat APR kicks in? The T&C section is a bit confusing.

I just got this card with a 10k limit and am loving it for my home improvement stuff!  The apr will only kick in if you don't pay the promo within the time period.  If you had over a 2k purchase and didn't pay within your 6 mos or a yr, then the apr would be the lower (ha ha) 15.48%.  I got the store card since I'm so tight I squeak... and I can get that 0% leaving my cash to gather it's small interest rate.  Even tho it's 0 payments I just divvy up the payments so it's paid off within the allotted time...
Message 15 of 20
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Congrats snookie.
Message 16 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Thanks, ducky!

Am I reading it right that the 0% for $299 or more is only good up to $2000, and then a big fat APR kicks in? The T&C section is a bit confusing.

I just got this card with a 10k limit and am loving it for my home improvement stuff! The apr will only kick in if you don't pay the promo within the time period. If you had over a 2k purchase and didn't pay within your 6 mos or a yr, then the apr would be the lower (ha ha) 15.48%. I got the store card since I'm so tight I squeak... and I can get that 0% leaving my cash to gather it's small interest rate. Even tho it's 0 payments I just divvy up the payments so it's paid off within the allotted time...

Great post! Thank you so much. They REALLY need to clarify this on their site --I could have just kept on going if I hadn't known that!
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have a backdoor number for a CLI? I got this card last year and my score has jumped almost 100 pts since then, I only have a $1000 limit now but want to try to increase it! Thanks in advance!!
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you spend over $2000 you still get six months no payments no interest but if you go beyond that your interest is less.  It is there way of convincing you to buy a larger purchase.  If you are doing a really significant purchase go for a HIL loan.  You can only use it for six months but the interest rates are better to carry a balance.

An almost former HD employee (one more week)
Message 19 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Anyone have a backdoor number for a CLI? I got this card last year and my score has jumped almost 100 pts since then, I only have a $1000 limit now but want to try to increase it! Thanks in advance!!

Don't know if you've been using the card much, but go online to your HD CC website and log in. Look up at the top and click on Manage my Account, then on Credit Line Increase. If it has some boxes to fill in, stop --it will cost you a hard inquiry. But if you get a message offering you a specific figure for a CLI and you take it, it will be a soft.

Citi often gives auto CLI's every 6 months, but they generally want to see use on the card to do so. The Home Depot store card in particular seems to reward heavy use; don't know about the Home Depot MasterCard.

If you're willing to accept another hard inquiry, you can go ahead and ask for a CLI. Where I live (East Tennessee) they did the hard inquiry when I applied with Equifax, and they have done a follow-up soft with EQ as well (account review, to see if I'm behaving with my other accounts.) They also did a one-time soft on EX the day after I was approved. Good luck!
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.