cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Accurate is AMEX's prequalify tool during these times?

tag
manbuckets
Regular Contributor

How Accurate is AMEX's prequalify tool during these times?

So I'm prequalified for most of the revolvers for Amex but I'm only looking at no annual fee cards, the BCE, ED, and Cash Magnet. Are my chances still good to be approved for this card even with them tightening up due to COVID? My FICO score is 717 with 10 months history

Current Cards/Loans:
Future Cards:
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: How Accurate is AMEX's prequalify tool during these times?

@manbuckets wrote:

So I'm prequalified for most of the revolvers for Amex but I'm only looking at no annual fee cards, the BCE, ED, and Cash Magnet. Are my chances still good to be approved for this card even with them tightening up due to COVID? My FICO score is 717 with 10 months history

They aren't guaranteed but I think they can be reasonably reliable in the majority of cases.  I can tell you one thing it won't consider that burned me.  It doesn't factor in new accounts, and apparently AMEX has become more conservative in recent months since the coronavirus pandemic started.  I was recently declined for a Gold card with a preapproval, 800+ scores, high income, low DTI, very thick file, and prior AMEX cardholder in good standing.  Only reason was too many new accounts. 

How many is too many?  I'm not sure but other members told me they had been approved by AMEX before for a new card with more new accounts and inquiries than I had. 

Here is the related thread (before and after my app) with relevant data points:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/AMEX-wants-my-business/m-p/6026334#M265355

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 12
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@manbuckets wrote:

By the way, I just noticed you're a new member and this was your first post!

Welcome to My Fico Forums! Smiley Happy 

I just had the honors of giving you your first "kudo." 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 3 of 12
manbuckets
Regular Contributor

Thank you, I appricaite that!

Current Cards/Loans:
Future Cards:
Message 4 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi and welcome to myFICO

May we get your stats? Approval will be heavily dependent on that, but not a guarantee.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 12
JNA1
Valued Contributor

My wife’s Statistics (720 score, 9 months history) in Feb on her Cash Magnet was very similar to yours, but that was really right before the Pandemic hit here. She at that time had a 9 month old Credit One card (I know, I know 🙈) and a 6 month old Cap 1 Quicksilver when she applied for the AMEX. She had been an AU on my Discover card for a little over a year at time too, but that was all that was on her credit report at that time. Now she’s a credit card baller in training! 😂
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $608,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 5/31/24- $21,590.43
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 6 of 12
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Amex has gotten more conservative since COVID-19. It's hard to say; because your stats may have been enough prior to the pandemic but most likely not at this point. Best bet perhaps is to wait a couple more months till the economy is in a better shape. 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 7 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Amex has stated that they're scrutinizing new customers more, but you should be fine to app. If denied, just wait until you have over 12 months history.

Message 8 of 12
manbuckets
Regular Contributor

Income is around 20k. Only 3 hard inquiries in the past 2 years. Discover It card $1600 limit Sept. 2019

Current Cards/Loans:
Future Cards:
Message 9 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You might get approved, but expect low(ish) limit, mainly because of short history. 

If there is a card that matches your spending, go for it. It's only a single pull, and unless you try, you wont know. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.