cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you keep track of the best card to use for spending?

tag
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: How do you keep track of the best card to use for spending?

I tried to check out this Cardpointers app and I see absolutely nothing in the Google Play Store for it.

But I am aware of another app called WalletFlo that does the same thing you've described. For those who might want to check it out...

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 31 of 52
JNA1
Valued Contributor

With rotating categories on some cards, I just make DW a monthly cheat sheet to use, hence why the card name say "your" or "my", since we have some of the same cards. We have bills and utilities set up on auto pay, so we rarely ever touch my SouthState MCP, which helps her. Her Disco is still in cash back match, so we've used it primarily just for 10% on restaurants. 

Next month there will be quite a bit of shuffling because the quarterly categories change, most notably Disco goes to Amazon, Walmart.com, and Target.com, so Synovus will go back to being the primary 3.75% restaurant card and we'll be adding her new First National Bank of Texas MCP to the rotation for cell phone bill and probably 5% fast food. Up until a few months ago, our BBVA ClearPoints cards figured heavily into our lineup, but that's gone (thanks PNC!🙄) 

Doing this monthly (and occasionally I'll have to change it mid month) allows me to adjust the lineup if we max a category out. For example, I'm going to edit this tomorrow to use my Discover card for restaurants and PP for DW, because we will max out her $1500 cap for that category today. 

55EDE16D-54AB-49F4-A5B0-5B68598B1147.png

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 32 of 52
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

I tried to check out this Cardpointers app and I see absolutely nothing in the Google Play Store for it.

But I am aware of another app called WalletFlo that does the same thing you've described. For those who might want to check it out...

Yea cardpointers didnt come up for me as well under google play so i asked me wife to pull it up on her iPhone and it did . 

I did download walletflo and works awesome 👌  

Thank you for the heads up on this app !

Message 33 of 52
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Fico82 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Yea cardpointers didnt come up for me as well under google play so i asked me wife to pull it up on her iPhone and it did . 

Walletflo is decent, but it doesn't have every card out there available and it can't account for targeted offers. It's an OK tool for mainstream on a simple schedule, but doesn't really work for optimizing. 

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 34 of 52
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

@Fico82 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Walletflo is decent, but it doesn't have every card out there available and it can't account for targeted offers. It's an OK tool for mainstream on a simple schedule, but doesn't really work for optimizing. 

>> the CardPointers app runs on Android as a pwa. I would use google to locate the app and click on the link for android

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 35 of 52
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

@Fico82 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Yeah, I've looked into a few apps like this before, but honestly for me....the amount of cards I have is limited anyway and I'm so tuned in to what my cards do and what I use them for, that those apps don't really tell me anything I don't already know. I still find them interesting to look at though. Would still like to see that Cardpointers app for that reason....going to try to find it with @Hoben02 's advice.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 36 of 52
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

@Fico82 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Yeah, I've looked into a few apps like this before, but honestly for me....the amount of cards I have is limited anyway and I'm so tuned in to what my cards do and what I use them for, that those apps don't really tell me anything I don't already know. I still find them interesting to look at though. Would still like to see that Cardpointers app for that reason....going to try to find it with @Hoben02 's advice.

I'm the same way. The apps are cool to look at, but since targeted offers could never be covered by any app, I can't imagine any of them would be particularly useful to me. 

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 37 of 52
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Downloaded the Cardpointers app from the PWA/web app.....

Same situation. A lot of the problems with these apps is they also don't accurately represent some of the cards. This app doesn't allow you to designate your USBank Cash+ 5% categories, (or Elan for that matter)so it refers to them as 1%. Same thing with Citi Custom Cash....counts it as a 1% card, but this is due to it not being able to determine your spend. But again, you can't designate it yourself within the app. FNBO Ducks Unlimited is represented as a 1.5% card....it does have a note in the description about the grandfather clause, but doesn't allow you to designate that 5% option.

It's cool to look at and play with, but after about 20 mins it lost my interest.   *shrug*

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 38 of 52
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

Downloaded the Cardpointers app from the PWA/web app.....

Same situation. A lot of the problems with these apps is they also don't accurately represent some of the cards. This app doesn't allow you to designate your USBank Cash+ 5% categories, (or Elan for that matter)so it refers to them as 1%. Same thing with Citi Custom Cash....counts it as a 1% card, but this is due to it not being able to determine your spend. But again, you can't designate it yourself within the app. FNBO Ducks Unlimited is represented as a 1.5% card....it does have a note in the description about the grandfather clause, but doesn't allow you to designate that 5% option.

It's cool to look at and play with, but after about 20 mins it lost my interest.   *shrug*

These apps would only ever be truly useful if they become able to be edited/modified by the user to take into account targeted offers, SUBs, and bonus points, etc. 

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 39 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

@Fico82 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

^this!

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.