Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is AMEX SPG?

tag
epicureanism
Contributor

How is AMEX SPG?

Is this a good card for travelling? How does this compare to CSP or Hilton HHonors? Thanks. 

Current Cards: BOA Better Rewards (2.5k), Citi Forward (2k), AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6k), AMEX SPG (7.5k), DISCOVER (1k), Chase Freedom (7k).

Credit Karma: 752, Credit Sesame: 736.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: How is AMEX SPG?

Yes. it's a good card. It compares well with CSP or Hilton Honors.

But like with any card, it really depends on you. Period.

Look within and the better choices are clearer to decipher. 

It's like asking people:

What's better for me? A Toyota Sienna, GMC Yukon Denali, Hona Civic or Infiniti G37 or maybe Nissan Leaf?

....all while making no mention of any details about yourself. Obviously, the answer depends....

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 2 of 14
epicureanism
Contributor

Thanks! 

My case is that I usually travel 2-3 times a year. Is there any good choice for me? I think SPG is ok with its low annual fee and good service from AMEX. 

Current Cards: BOA Better Rewards (2.5k), Citi Forward (2k), AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6k), AMEX SPG (7.5k), DISCOVER (1k), Chase Freedom (7k).

Message 3 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

travel where? international? domestic flying plus hotels? road trip plus hotels? 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

The SPG card is great if you are going to stay at their properties using their "cash + points" option, and used for domestic spending.  For this purpose, I can't think of any higher consistent return on your spending.

Message 5 of 14
epicureanism
Contributor

Just domestic flying plus hotels. Thanks! 

Message 6 of 14
epicureanism
Contributor

Cool! Can you please explain a little bit about cash+points? Why it's better than points only? And how much does a point worth approximately? Thanks! 

Message 7 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@epicureanism wrote:

Cool! Can you please explain a little bit about cash+points? Why it's better than points only? And how much does a point worth approximately? Thanks! 

When you use "cash + points+ redemption, you can find many Category 3, 4, or 5 properties at good deals, since the points portion if fixed.  

In other words, if the cost of a property is high during peak season, the "cash + points" are fixed, therefore it allows for arbitrage if you book opportunistically. Also, this form of redemptions counts towards your stays for gold/plat status and will accrue additional spg points on the cash portion.

If used prudently, your return on spending should be around 3% - 4%.

Message 8 of 14
epicureanism
Contributor

Thank you! Decide to apply somewhere in the near future! 

Message 9 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@epicureanism wrote:

Thank you! Decide to apply somewhere in the near future! 

Also, at it's worst, it's still a better general airline miles card at 1.25% than airline cards for non-bonus spending.  The only exception would be the UA Club at 1.5. 

There's also a redemption of $150 amzn GC for 14,000 spg points, though I can't imagine anyone choosing this option.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.