Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to wait before requesting CLI from Discover

tag
krislee
Valued Member

How long to wait before requesting CLI from Discover

I was approved for my Discover It card in February with a limit of $2500. I wanted to take advanage of the zero apr till next April and pay my rent with the card. I'm a college student with no income but my credit score isn't bad. I don't know what my fico score is because I recently got a new social and myfico is telling me I need at least 6months history for the number. This is what creditkarama is telling me though:

Credit Score: 772

UTIL: 2%

Total account: 6 (but only 5 are active)

INQ: 3

Total Limit: 19K

My rent is pretty high and I just don't have the funds to pay it in full right now. I've never been late with my payments and have always paid in full. When can I ask for a CLI and should I call or just do it online?

EDIT: I called CS and he said I had to wait 5 more months. Maybe I'm blind but I can't find the delete button. If there is one please let me know. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: How long to wait before requesting CLI from Discover

Discover increased my limit at the end of the 5th month.  YMMV on this but i would wait at least 6 months before asking for a CLI.  Mine was automatic.

Message 2 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

6 month and 12 month marks for CLI  on discover

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 18
mr_postman
Regular Contributor

opened mine 6 months ago with 1k limit today i asked for increase and was instant denied told them to close my account. 1k compare to my other cards I just discovered they dont like me

Message 4 of 18
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

I hope to get auto cli love as well. Only time will tell.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 5 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@kmpxx wrote:

I was approved for my Discover It card in February with a limit of $2500. I wanted to take advanage of the zero apr till next April and pay my rent with the card. I'm a college student with no income but my credit score isn't bad. I don't know what my fico score is because I recently got a new social and myfico is telling me I need at least 6months history for the number. This is what creditkarama is telling me though:

My rent is pretty high and I just don't have the funds to pay it in full right now. I've never been late with my payments and have always paid in full. When can I ask for a CLI and should I call or just do it online?

EDIT: I called CS and he said I had to wait 5 more months. Maybe I'm blind but I can't find the delete button. If there is one please let me know. 

How are you paying your rent with no income?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

They do auto cli, but not for much.
I got an auto cli from 4,000 to 4,750 a day after my 6th statement.9
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 18
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
They do auto cli, but not for much.
I got an auto cli from 4,000 to 4,750 a day after my 6th statement.9

wow, congrats!  My 6th statement is next month, hope i get some auto cli as well!

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 18
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Op: I would call back and ask to speek to a supervisor, they may be able to push it through. I was told 6mo by the CSR when i called and apped for my discover it card yesterday. I was unhappy with the initial CL they gave me and after a call back this morning from one of the supervisors they bumped me from $1500 to $3000.

So for me the a answer is 1 day for a CLI, lol.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 18
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@kmpxx wrote:

Six months is the general wisdom.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.