Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Hard Inquiry Normal to Add an AU?

tag
John060675
Valued Contributor

Is a Hard Inquiry Normal to Add an AU?

To make a long story short, I opened an AMEX Optima CC 4 weeks ago and it had a member date since 2011 on it.  I called back to ask for a updated member date of 2007 put on my CC, and they agreed.  I received the CC 2 days ago and went online to activate it.  When I did that it gave me the option of adding someone as an AU.  I clicked on it and tried to add my wife, but it had me call a 1-800 #.

When I called the 1-800 #, the rep transferred me a couple times and finally I got someone to help with the application.  They asked a couple questions and then called my bank to verify our identity (wife and mine). They said everything was fine and her card will be in the mail next week.  So far nothing strange.

Today I receive an alert that an inquiry has hit my EX report from AMEX.  What?

Is this normal that they would run a hard inquiry on my account when I am trying to add an AU?  Remember, I already have an open account with them and this is the same account.  Nothing new.

I am planning to call their credit bureau on Monday, unless someone here says it is a normal thing for them to do a hard inquiry.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is a Hard Inquiry Normal to Add an AU?

It has never happened to me. Or to the people whom I added as AU's.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 12
John060675
Valued Contributor

That is what I thought.  I have added her in the past, and I have never seen an inquiry hit on her or my report.  I am going to call their credit bureau on Monday to see what the deal is.

Message 3 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@John060675 wrote:

That is what I thought.  I have added her in the past, and I have never seen an inquiry hit on her or my report.  I am going to call their credit bureau on Monday to see what the deal is.

They can only report what is sent to them. IMO your beef is with Amex.

BTW I've never had a HP for adding an AU either.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 12
John060675
Valued Contributor

Yes, I mistyped what I wanted to say.  I am going to contact AMEX's Credit Bureau number (found in backdoor posting on this forum) to discuss the problem.  Sorry for the confusion.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was added as an AU on my Fathers AmEx and he did not get an inq, why would AmEx need to pull HIS report if they are adding ME as an AU?

You say you got this card 4 weeks ago, so AmEx pulled your report then, why in the world would AmEx NEED to pull your report again to add your Wife as an AU???? That's just nuts.

I apped and was instant approved for the PR Gold 7/18/11 (backdated to 91) and AmEx pulled EX and TU, so I called AmEx "New Accounts Dept" the day after I got the alert that I had an inq on TU, the rep told me that AmEx should have only pulled one credit report and the pull on EX should be removed (by AmEx, a suppression sent) well it wasn't, so I called AmEx last night to ask about this, the rep pulled my app and said "I only see ONE pull, and that's the pull from TU" she said I do not see that EX was pulled.

She told me to make a copy of my (EX) Inq page and fax it to the "Media" dept. with a reference # that she provided to me and briefly explain in my fax what my concern is and they will take care of it.

I am debating if I want to mess with this one, I do not want to stir AmEx's pot (if you know what I mean) however, I was told by the first New Accts rep I spoke with that the inq on EX should (and will be) removed, and the rep I spoke to last night said she only sees the pull from TU, she advised me to fax that copy I mentioned above and see if I can have the inq on EX removed.

I'll think about it, do whatever I feel is right.

Best of Luck to you.

Message 6 of 12
John060675
Valued Contributor

I think I will call them on Monday.  I know it is just one inquiry, but I never authorized it to be pulled. 

Concerning stirring the pot with AMEX, I am not too worried about that.  The worst they can do is throw a FR at me, and I hope they do.  I was conservative on my application with all my financial stuff, so I am not worried at all.  In fact, I hope they do the FR process now, just to get it out of the way.

Message 7 of 12
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@John060675 wrote:

I think I will call them on Monday.  I know it is just one inquiry, but I never authorized it to be pulled. 

Concerning stirring the pot with AMEX, I am not too worried about that.  The worst they can do is throw a FR at me, and I hope they do.  I was conservative on my application with all my financial stuff, so I am not worried at all.  In fact, I hope they do the FR process now, just to get it out of the way.

Are you positive it's a hard pull? I don't have watch score, but it report soft ones too, perhaps? That would be more normal...

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 8 of 12
John060675
Valued Contributor

No, it is definitely a hard pull.  Received 2 alerts from different credit services that showed it.  No chance of it being a soft pull I am afraid.

Message 9 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@SevenNEW wrote:

@John060675 wrote:

Are you positive it's a hard pull? I don't have watch score, but it report soft ones too, perhaps? That would be more normal...

Score monitoring services report hard pulls.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.