cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it embarrasing using AMEX at a fast food?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is it embarrasing using AMEX at a fast food?

timmis1127 wrote:
its embarrassing using a credit card for food period

Well, I guess it's all in how you look at it, and why you're using a CC for food.

If you've got $1.74 in your checking account, and payday isn't until 4 more days, and you have to finance your food, that's not a very happy situation.

If you're using a CC for a regularly budgeted item, for which you have money in the bank to cover, and especially if you get rewards for using it, that's different.

I understand what you're saying though. Using CC's for groceries used to be considered a warning sign of financial problems (and still can be for some), but the explosion of rewards programs changed consumer behavior. I like having all my expenses on CC's so that it's easy to track what went where, and also get my 2% cash back.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 61 of 109
DI
Super Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@timmis1127 wrote:

Why would you be embarrassed using a CC for food if you get rewards for doing so? I'm not embarrassed picking up dimes and nickels off the ground either.

I  agree!.  Food and Gas is mostly what I use my cards for. My Kroger 123 card is perfect for that use.  I for sure pick nickels and dimes off the ground.  It was just yesterday I picked up a quarter off the flood at the gym.  And it was on head... so that means I will have good luck!!

Message 62 of 109
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@timmis1127 wrote:

Embarrassing in front of who?  The grocery workers?  Why would one care who else is watching them charge groceries?  Some people really don't get caught up in what other people think; especially strangers.
11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 63 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

@timmis1127 wrote:
More and more people are using credit cards for literally every single purchase they make and then just PIF at the end of every month/cycle.  I know I do.  In the past, I think people scoffed at others buying groceries or fast food with credit cards but these days it's just the way things are now.  Especially, as other posters have stated, with rewards programs being so popular.
Message 64 of 109
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is it embarrassed using AMEX at a fast food?

LOL, I can think of many other ways that I've embarrassed myself!

One thing I'm not embarrassed about: in just a few years, using my Upromise MC for all sorts of purchases, food or otherwise, I've earned nearly $1000 for my kids' college education.

Message 65 of 109
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Lel wrote:

LOL, I can think of many other ways that I've embarrassed myself!

One thing I'm not embarrassed about: in just a few years, using my Upromise MC for all sorts of purchases, food or otherwise, I've earned nearly $1000 for my kids' college education.

Very nice, Lel!
Message 66 of 109
MMart078
Regular Contributor

What if AMEX starts to look at the amounts you spend, and adjust your credit line "accordingly" I am sure some of yall have heard of the guy that had his credit lines with AMEX reduced because "others customers who have shopped at recent places as you have a poor repayment history" so what if you get a letter in the mail that says "We are reducing your credit line because your average transaction about is consistent with those with poor payment history" ..Just a thought? For all I know they could do that already I am a finance major not a law or  decisioning sciences major, so I am not sure if its even legal.
Message 67 of 109
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They claim that they're no longer doing that. Actually, if I recall correctly, they claimed that they never did do that, but that they would stop doing it.

Isn't that an Alford plea or something? Smiley Very Happy

I may put a large diet Coke from Mickey D's on a card when I'm without cash, but I use the same card(s) for bigger purchases. No probs so far.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 68 of 109
MMart078
Regular Contributor

Everyone says that AMEX cards have PMS, I think it is the company that has PMS.
Message 69 of 109
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
...if I recall correctly, they claimed that they never did do that, but that they would stop doing it.

That's exactly what they said and it was quoted in multiple places. I bet their still doing it. The practice is not the subject of a study mandated by the Credit CARD Act of 2009 for no reason at all.

Message 70 of 109
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.