Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a secret to getting high cumulative CC tradelines other than time

tag
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there a secret to getting high cumulative CC tradelines other than time

@tussking wrote:

I don't think there is a secret. I think it's all about timing.

I got very lucky in a two year period right after my BK7 when for example.

I was able to combine three Cap 1 cards into one for a 30k+ CL.

Penfed was jealous of my NFCU cards and matched them both at 25k each.

Then Barclays Jetblue only gave me 10k but I called them and went thru a 30 min interrogation by a credit services rep and explained I already have 5 cards with 25K+ and I want to use my Jetblue card for all travel they matched the other cards 25k.

Honestly I find it a pain to rotate all these cards.

I totally agree with the PITA of having to rotate all the cards.   I got up to about 350K in limits and wound up closing a whole bunch -- mostly high limit credit union cards - Penfed, DCU, BECU as well as closing my 30K Cap 1 Savor so they wouldn't lower the limit on my 50K Cap 1 Venture.

When you have spent a long time getting declined you really want the affirmation of being approved and trusted for higher limits and higher total credit.   Then it becomes a PITA, especially if your SO has the same number of cards to try to keep active.

Message 11 of 24
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Knice86 wrote:

A lot of people say you have to be patient over time to delvelop high cumulative CC tradelines but I'm seeing a different trend.  Loads of people on here who fit that bill seem to have one thing in common -- lots of inquiries.  I feel like there may be an unspoken rule I'm not understanding and just wonder if anyone has any tips to get delveop high tradelines accross all CC's ...

First a few questions and cautions about high limits. 

WHAT:   The definition of what a “high limit” card or “high total limits” varies widely.  What would you consider a high individual or total limit?  Some people are happy with $5K individual limits while others want a minimum or $50K.  And over time, your idea of "high limits" may change.  

WHY:   Why are you seeking these high limits and moreover, does your spending patterns or income support them?   Many of us seek higher limits either due to spending that is very high or wanting more credit utilization padding.   It’s human nature to think that most everyone has a comparable lifestyle, income, or spending pattern as ourselves.  In reality, we’re actually a diverse group on My Fico.  There are some members who have either very high business or personal incomes or spending that is far greater than what most of the population will generate.  That makes comparisons with other members’ profiles potentially tricky, misleading, and unreliable since we don’t see the entire picture about each other.   Some utilization padding is prudent but it’s easy to overdo what you really need.  A little padding helps your credit profile but the benefits decrease as you add more and more credit.  If you add limits far in excess of what your profile will comfortably support, you may find yourself either struggling to monitor and maintain all those limits (cards), spreading yourself too thin between too many rewards pools where redemption is challenging, or having cards suffer credit limit decreases or closures due to lack of enough usage.   In other words, just because you can get it doesn’t mean you get to keep it.   Some lenders may become alarmed if your total credit limits are greatly in excess of what your profile will support, which could lead to denials of new credit or lower limits on cards you really want to acquire in the future.  So high limits that aren't in alignment with your overall profile and needs can become a curse instead of a blessing.  

I highly recommend you consider your overall profile factors when considering what a reasonable target is for individual or total limits, factoring in your income and typical spending patterns.  

HOW:   I’ve written about high credit limits before in several older threads.   If you go to the first link below and then open the other older links I mentioned, you can find my longer responses and observations.  

In a nutshell, though, the key elements are a good to excellent credit profile coupled with either

• a lot of time,
  • a lot of spending,
  • a lot of income,
  • a lot of assets invested,
  • or often a combination of the above. 

The aggressive credit seeking behavior which entails adding a huge number of inquiries in a short period of time is a risky and poor substitute for the methods above, since it will most likely cause short term credit score damage and may lead to diminishing results as you get farther into the process.  That means you continue to acquire more and more new cards with lower and lower limits and higher APRs than what you might qualify for otherwise if you rush the process too quickly. Eventually, you’ll face wasted inquires as lenders repeatedly deny you additional credit.   Moreover, it may not yield the same quality of results one could get with a slow-growth method and it may not even withstand the test of time.  There’s a lot to be said for quality over quantity, so I recommend having useful cards that are well thought-out, and growing them over time.

If you still think building high credit limits is something you want or need to do, here is my link and good luck with the process! 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-do-I-get-a-large-credit-line-without-high-income/m...

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 24
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

@Knice86 wrote:

A lot of people say you have to be patient over time to delvelop high cumulative CC tradelines but I'm seeing a different trend.  Loads of people on here who fit that bill seem to have one thing in common -- lots of inquiries.  I feel like there may be an unspoken rule I'm not understanding and just wonder if anyone has any tips to get delveop high tradelines accross all CC's.  I'm willing to take a hit on my score 700-750 range if needbe, not planning on buying a house any time soon. MOD CUT - we are not doing this

Hello @Knice86 

I will share my limted knowlege of credit with you

and you can extract and keep what you want.

I have no idea of how old you are,your income,

or any of the other relative factors that go into

credit decisions. I was raised in a family that

made working a priority over most everything else.

My father was born in Norway and my Mothers

family was from Italy,2nd generation immigrants.

Besides both being peninsulas not much in common 

with the cultures,besides seafood and hard work.

I make this point bc by the time I was 12 I was working 

for my Uncle Tony roofing in the summer.

I am now 55 and for the last 40 odd years I have

worked,paid bills,paid off one house,bought another down the shore,

all while never missing or being late on a single mortgage payment'

or bill of any kind. That is a lifetime of work behind me.

Credit was never really something that was important to me.

My family did not make a priority of aquiring alot of it.

Can't bequeath someone your credit when your gone,

only what you owe on it,their logic.

Everything you build starts with a foundation and that is mine.

@Aim_High  has it right as do most others here. There is

no substitute for years,decades, of being a responsible person

with money. And Credit is all about money!!!!!!

Do you have enough of it? Do you have a history of making it?

How long have you made it?

How much a year?

Did you pay all of it back?

Not pay it back?

Credit is lending someone money and you pay it back.

Do that well and you will be rewarded.

Don't do it and see how fast they turn on you.

At which terms you want to borrow that  money is up to you,

but the banks will dictate what THEY

will want for you borrowing it.

Here is the one thing here I haven't read in this thread that

sticks out. Banks and CU's are WAY more likely to give

you higher limits and more credit WHEN YOU DON'T NEED IT.

That comes with time.

You will find alot of good credit advice here.

Listen to it and then choose your own path.

Nobody does it for you. 

Which now brings me to my own personal MyFico

expierience. Started 20 months ago.

I was so scared to post about credit

it took me finding a glitch on a Citi website,that gave

you way more then one CLI at a time,before I could post.

People made me feel welcome and then I started to

explore what I could do with credit.

Now I have more inquires then anyone I have read about on here.

But I also have that foudation of responsibly paying all my bills

on time in my life.

You will find people with alot of inquires and alot of credit,

who have been doing it a long time.

What you will have a harder time finding is someone

with a lot of inquires and alot of credit without said 

time put in.

One final thing. Credit Unions deal with me bc they

can look at my finances and make independent decisions sometimes

about my profile. The Major banks,I have Citi,Wells Fargo,Chase,CO,Discover

PNC,BBVA,Truist erc etc.. 

and even the ones I do not have have

will not give me the time of day anymore

bc of all those inquires. 

That's what all those inquires will get you.

I know this was a long respose,and I aplologise

for that. MyFico used to be alot more fun to me.

I wish you well in your credit journey :-)

Cheers

Message 13 of 24
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Ok just stop it.  This poster you call suspect is legit and everyone wants to harp on his stated income. But they fail to realize he has alot of assets that he doesnt need to add to make someone here feel better. Its not impossible to get those limits on that income as i know another poster who has done just that. I dont make alot of money and yet i have gotten $254k in cc limits. Am i suspect?  Getting any kind of limit  just depends on lender , scores, income, circumstances,  thickness of profile. Alot of variables. Lets keep this thread on subject not on looking down on others choices and willingness to share please.

I cannot read all of what was said on this thread.

but my Spidey Sense tells me I owe you a Thank You.

:-) Thanks old friend

They should make alot more just like you @AverageJoesCredit 

Cheers 

Message 14 of 24
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@Knice86 wrote:

A lot of people say you have to be patient over time to delvelop high cumulative CC tradelines but I'm seeing a different trend.  Loads of people on here who fit that bill seem to have one thing in common -- lots of inquiries.  I feel like there may be an unspoken rule I'm not understanding and just wonder if anyone has any tips to get delveop high tradelines accross all CC's.  I'm willing to take a hit on my score 700-750 range if needbe, not planning on buying a house any time soon. MOD CUT - we are not doing this

Some of us do take HP to get a CLI.  That might be part of why you see more HPs listed for people with higher CLs.  Then again, we are app happy on this site so that might just be coincidence.

Message 15 of 24
iced
Valued Contributor

@wingennis wrote:

Some of us do take HP to get a CLI.  That might be part of why you see more HPs listed for people with higher CLs.  Then again, we are app happy on this site so that might just be coincidence.

My observations on this forum would lead me to believe these are two distinct groups (the app happy and HP CLI takers), and people who take HP CLIs will tend to have fewer HPs overall than the app happy crowd.

The people most adverse to taking a HP for a CLI view HPs as a currency best spent on new accounts, where they may pick up a bonus or larger limit with that HP. These people would rather HP a new card and combine limits later than take a HP for a CLI.

Message 16 of 24
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Also, a lot of us are biz owner's and take many hp's over time building biz credit, accepting biz offers, cli requests, etc.  Piles up.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 17 of 24
iced
Valued Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

Also, a lot of us are biz owner's and take many hp's over time building biz credit, accepting biz offers, cli requests, etc.  Piles up.

Shouldn't those accounts be in the business name and not a personal name, though? Or are you saying that business owners tend to count business tradelines in with their personal tradelines when discussing total CL?

Message 18 of 24
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

Shouldn't those accounts be in the business name and not a personal name, though? Or are you saying that business owners tend to count business tradelines in with their personal tradelines when discussing total CL?

No, total hp's.  Like I'll never get to 5/24..more like lol/24.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 19 of 24
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

@wingennis wrote:

My observations on this forum would lead me to believe these are two distinct groups (the app happy and HP CLI takers), and people who take HP CLIs will tend to have fewer HPs overall than the app happy crowd.

The people most adverse to taking a HP for a CLI view HPs as a currency best spent on new accounts, where they may pick up a bonus or larger limit with that HP. These people would rather HP a new card and combine limits later than take a HP for a CLI.

I'm in the second group. Don't app often. I never run more than 2 HP's across all bureaus. At most, i've had 3 (2 CC's and an auto-loan). Once one or two fall off, then I request a CLI with those stubborn lenders that want a HP and don't auto-CLI me. Although, I'm currently at a point where those lenders are already threatening me with CLD (Barclays) or where I already have a limit way higher than I need (BB). So really...Chase is the only lender I have where I'd be taking a HP these days...not that I really need it. All my cards are 10K and up except my stupid Sync Marvel...which is a SP but they're so cheap with that card in particular ($3800 CL after 2 CLI's). 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.