cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Credit Card Applications

tag
fauzool

Joint Credit Card Applications

I dont have all that good credit due to having low credit history and was curious if I was to do a joint account with one of my parents would that increase that chances of getting aproved for a credit card?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Richierichdollar
New Contributor

Re: Joint Credit Card Applications

It is always best to get your own credit, no matter parents, wife or whatever. Just get a secured and rock out until you can get unsecured. Sorry to say but stuff happens and you dont want to be responsible for anyone else debt execpt your own.

Message 2 of 9
n777ua
Established Contributor

You don't really see joint credit apps that often anymore for credit cards.  I think the only joint credit card I have, which is actually a joint (non-au) account, is Discover.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 3 of 9
fauzool

I agree with you both im just curious if joint app would help get approved i had a wf student card  CL:2100 and they closed my account (It was my first cc too which was odd) i paid on time and everything it was due to having my wf bank account closed because of bounced checks, now im just trying to get a cc tried to apply for one at Capital one and a few others Secure cards confuse me a little as well I pay money and i get a credit card with my money on it? Confusing a little

Message 4 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@fauzool wrote:

I agree with you both im just curious if joint app would help get approved i had a wf student card  CL:2100 and they closed my account (It was my first cc too which was odd) i paid on time and everything it was due to having my wf bank account closed because of bounced checks, now im just trying to get a cc tried to apply for one at Capital one and a few others Secure cards confuse me a little as well I pay money and i get a credit card with my money on it? Confusing a little

Think of a secured card as a bank account that you can't touch or certificate of deposit (CD)

Every time you purchase something you have to pay it back to show them you know how to manage your money

You only get your money back by closing the account or if they offer you an unsecured card

Hope this helps you better understand

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 9
fauzool

what would be the best secured card to go with? I hear bofa has a card after a year it becomes an unsecure card and u get deposits back if you make all payments on time

Message 6 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@fauzool wrote:

what would be the best secured card to go with? I hear bofa has a card after a year it becomes an unsecure card and u get deposits back if you make all payments on time

Correct about BofA
SDFCU

US Bank

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You have only had 1 credit card ever and it's paid $0 and closed?

You applied and were denied a Capital One Card?

Something is not adding up or have you not applied for anything yet and think you need secured or parents?

Message 8 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

@fauzool wrote:

For cash rewards and reliable graduation, the Bank of America is the pack leader. The only drawback is that it is reported as secured. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.