cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just rec'd CSP, too soon to app for Freedom?

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Just rec'd CSP, too soon to app for Freedom?

Hello all, I've been lurking the forums for a while but finally have a reason to chime in.

I recently received and started using my Chase Sapphire Preferred card ($15k CL) earlier this month. I applied primarily for the 50k bonus points, ability to transfer points to airlines, and I wanted a Visa card to complement the Citi MasterCard that I've used as my sole general purpose card since college (2005). I'm 27 with a solid income and a pretty decent credit score (upper 700s).

I've read about this Chase CSP+Freedom+Checking trifecta and would like to take advantage of it. I've already signed up for a Chase Premier Plus checking account (with the $200 bonus) a couple of weeks ago, right after receiving my CSP. So now the only missing piece is the Freedom card.

A few things that make my situation unique:

1. I'm already an authorized user on my girlfriend's Freedom card ($12k CL), which we use for shared expenses.

2. I'm an employee of J.P. Morgan and have the ability to attach a "Special Consideration Form" to improve my chances.

3. I have a J.P. Morgan brokerage account (~1 year old), in addition to my CSP and checking Chase relationships.

4. I've had 3 hard inquiries in the past month: 1 for opening my CSP, 1 for a Citi CLI (approved), 1 for a retail card CLI (approved).

5. I plan to apply for an AmEx later this year, after 6 months have passed.

Which brings me to my question: Should I apply to the Freedom card right now? I would like to start getting that 5% on groceries ASAP, but do not want to get denied and have a 4th hard inquiry this month with nothing to show for it. Thanks.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just rec'd CSP, too soon to app for Freedom?

According to Chase, you can only do 1 app per month. 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 2 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Which Amex and why not now?

Chase Freedom, I would wait at least 30 days but if you have $12k with GF and new $15k for yourself, why another Chase Freedom, let alone another Chase Card at all?

Message 3 of 30
learnin113
Established Contributor

Why so much Chase credit needed???

Message 4 of 30
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@ArisGreek wrote:

This is pretty much never enforced. I received the Chase Amazon Visa and a few days later applied for the Chase Freedom. It was declined because of the closeness of applications but a quick ring to a credit analyst got it approved right away. My history was only around twenty months and score in the 700's.

So your application will probably be denied but just ring one of  these numbers:Chase: 888-270-2127 (App recon)  Chase: 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons) and it should be able to get approved since it sounds like you have finances and your credit in a good place. If they say no one you could try again. If it is still a no you could offer to take some of the limit off of your Chase Sapphire Preferred to get it approved. So I would say go and apply now. I would also say do the American Express card now as well to keep inquiries and aging accounts grouped together.

Message 5 of 30
FrugalRican
Blogger

I've read about this Chase CSP+Freedom+Checking trifecta and would like to take advantage of it. I've already signed up for a Chase Premier Plus checking account (with the $200 bonus) a couple of weeks ago, right after receiving my CSP. So now the only missing piece is the Freedom card.

I'm guessing a few of you don't know about the Chase CSP+Freedom+Checking combo and that's why you are asking about that?

I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to be an AU anymore and wants his own card so that he can complete the trio.

But he clearly states he wants all three and there is a perfect reason why he'd want to do so.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 6 of 30
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

I'm guessing a few of you don't know about the Chase CSP+Freedom+Checking combo and that's why you are asking about that?

I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to be an AU anymore and wants his own card so that he can complete the trio.

But he clearly states he wants all three and there is a perfect reason why he'd want to do so.

+1

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 7 of 30
bribro
Valued Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:

Which Amex and why not now?

Chase Freedom, I would wait at least 30 days but if you have $12k with GF and new $15k for yourself, why another Chase Freedom, let alone another Chase Card at all?

learnin113 wrote:

Why so much Chase credit needed???

I’m thinking of just signing up for a Zync card so I can begin a relationship and PC into a “real” AmEx down the road so that I can hopefully keep the Zync's “Member Since” date. After lurking these forums, one of my biggest regrets is not having signed up for more credit cards earlier (to build relationships and increase my AAoA). I don't want to apply for an AmEx now because I'm in no rush and want to give it 6 months so my hard inquiries will have less impact.

I want the Freedom card to complete the Chase trifecta for me personally. The AU on my gf's card is only for shared expenses.

navigatethis12 wrote:

ArisGreek wrote:

This is pretty much never enforced. I received the Chase Amazon Visa and a few days later applied for the Chase Freedom. It was declined because of the closeness of applications but a quick ring to a credit analyst got it approved right away. My history was only around twenty months and score in the 700's.

So your application will probably be denied but just ring one of  these numbers:Chase: 888-270-2127 (App recon)  Chase: 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons) and it should be able to get approved since it sounds like you have finances and your credit in a good place. If they say no one you could try again. If it is still a no you could offer to take some of the limit off of your Chase Sapphire Preferred to get it approved. So I would say go and apply now. I would also say do the American Express card now as well to keep inquiries and aging accounts grouped together.

But if I wait 30 days it will improve my chances? Or does it really not matter as long as I call the recon?

Hmmm... I'll have to think more about applying for an AmEx then. Good point there. I just don't want to get denied.

FrugalRican wrote:

Exactly, I want my own card for my personal expenses.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 30
johnnie198x
Contributor

OP, go ahead. 1 inquiry isn't a big deal when you only have 4(?) Yes, you will be declined, but you can recon to lower CSP CL by 5,000 to get the Freedom approved. I know a guy who did this. I personally did something similar, but it was for 1 personal and 1 business card (CSP and Ink Bold)

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 9 of 30
bribro
Valued Contributor

@johnnie198x wrote:

OP, go ahead. 1 inquiry isn't a big deal when you only have 4(?) Yes, you will be declined, but you can recon to lower CSP CL by 5,000 to get the Freedom approved. I know a guy who did this. I personally did something similar, but it was for 1 personal and 1 business card (CSP and Ink Bold)

I'd really like to avoid lowering the CL on my CSP though (I can easily rack up $5k+ a month in expenses and I want to keep my utilization low). I'm not too worried about the hard inquiry since I don't expect any major credit events this year. My 30 days since CSP approval will be up about 2 weeks.

Will waiting the 30 days increase my chances of getting a straight up approval? If so, I'll probably just do that, as much as having my expiration dates off by a month will bug my OCD. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.