Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kay Jewelers Credit Line and Increase

tag
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Kay Jewelers Credit Line and Increase

I know alot of people here have a Kay Jewelers account. It was my first unsecured account I have ever had. My initial credit limit was $400 and i have been requesting a CLI every month since i opened the account. I stopped asking in Jan of 2015 and then all of a sudden i logged in and they increased it to $1400 but i want a higher limit so that my second oldest account with report with a higher limit.

I was wondering what everyones experience is with getting credit limit increases and what is your current credit limit and initial credit limit.

Starting Limit 2012: $400

Current Limit 2015: $1400

Desired Limit: $7,000 to $9,000

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Kay Jewelers Credit Line and Increase

you have to go into store and usually be wanting to buy something for them to issue a cli.

am i seeing your credit scores in the 750+?!

I would close your current card and just apply for a new one!

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened mine in late '99 or 2000. It started with about a $1000 limit, can't be 100% sure. Long time ago. It has auto-CLI'd its way to $7600. I didn't even use it that heavily, maybe $1000-$1500 per year.

Message 3 of 24
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

you have to go into store and usually be wanting to buy something for them to issue a cli.

Won't closing it hurt my score?

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 4 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Won't closing it hurt my score?

The account will continue to report as a positive closed account for 10 years.

The only time closing an account can hurt your credit is if it causes your utilization overall to go up but based on it just being $1500 I don't think it's probably helping you much and if you don't have any debt it's really not helping because you have no utilization.

opening a new account could ding your average age of accounts a bit but if your goal is $7k+ I sure would think you would get a heck of a lot more than you currently have on a new account.

or if you need it for a purchase, just go into store and ask them to cli your currnt card for the purchase, they probably won't have an issue.

Message 5 of 24
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Yea ill do that ill go in there and ask for a increase and if they turn me down. Ill just app for a new account. I guess i must not use the card enough because the card was dormant for 6 months with the 400 limit then i bought something online at end of Feb and it was raised auto 2 weeks ago.

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 6 of 24
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Openers July 2014

Start limit - $7,000

wasmtoldmi could request a CLi at 1 yr mark in store with a SP

Message 7 of 24
JustinS
Regular Contributor

Mine with Kay was opened June 2013 and at the 1yr mark approximately June 2014 they doubled my limit (auto cli not by me requesting anything). SL was $3k and at one yr went to $6k. I did buy engagement and wedding bands from them though plus a couple other things for my wife (gf/fiance at the time). So having said that my guess is they want to see some activity as well to justify a CLI (as even with a reasonably small amount in my case they did an auto CLI doubling my limit at the 1yr point).

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work at a credit repair company & I talk to thousands of clients about this. closing out a positive account ESPECIALLY a revolving line of credit can potentially hurt your score.

1) your length of credit history will be affected ; credit card accounts that are around 2 years old are still considered new accounts. You'd have to have an account around 4-6 years to help it boost your score in that area of length of credit history. I have an account around 4 years and I'd grade it as a B for length...

2) your utilization ratio may be affected. You can always apply for a new account, of course and you may be approved for an even higher credit limit with a different lender or creditor but keep in mind...If you're looking to spend and use these cards, great, but if you're looking to spend and use them wisely, don't give up all your cards at once. You can beat the system by using your lines of credit to an advantage.

Kay Jewelers is a great place but keep it mind they want to see you're worth the investment. They typically won't allow a CLI until the account has been aged to 12 months; they let my boyfriend do his at 10 months. You'd have to speak to the in store rep and explain to then what you want and how much you want.

Make sure you have no delinquents on your credit reports, (that includes late payments, collections, or charge offs) no excessive inquiries, ( I say 5+ is excessive), that you don't have a high utilization ratio on any of your other accounts. You can always cause a fuss and say that an in store rep told you it would be increased every year... They're always sure to go the extra mile.
Message 9 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I work at a credit repair company & I talk to thousands of clients about this. closing out a positive account ESPECIALLY a revolving line of credit can potentially hurt your score.

1) your length of credit history will be affected ; credit card accounts that are around 2 years old are still considered new accounts. You'd have to have an account around 4-6 years to help it boost your score in that area of length of credit history. I have an account around 4 years and I'd grade it as a B for length...

2) your utilization ratio may be affected. You can always apply for a new account, of course and you may be approved for an even higher credit limit with a different lender or creditor but keep in mind...If you're looking to spend and use these cards, great, but if you're looking to spend and use them wisely, don't give up all your cards at once. You can beat the system by using your lines of credit to an advantage.

Kay Jewelers is a great place but keep it mind they want to see you're worth the investment. They typically won't allow a CLI until the account has been aged to 12 months; they let my boyfriend do his at 10 months. You'd have to speak to the in store rep and explain to then what you want and how much you want.

Make sure you have no delinquents on your credit reports, (that includes late payments, collections, or charge offs) no excessive inquiries, ( I say 5+ is excessive), that you don't have a high utilization ratio on any of your other accounts. You can always cause a fuss and say that an in store rep told you it would be increased every year... They're always sure to go the extra mile.

Just GREAT someone that doesn't know how credit reporting works dealing with thousands of clients giving them MORE WRONG information.

A CLOSED account that is positive will continue to report on your credit for 10 years!

The only negative to closing an account is if you need the available credit to help your utilization... if you have no debt, you have no utilization to worry about.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.