cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Positive Balance on Chase CC, what can I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Large Positive Balance on Chase CC, what can I do?

Hello everyone!

Due to the COVID pandemic, I've had to cancel a few reservations that I have made on my Chase CC. There is currently no balance on the card, and the refunds will result in a large positive balance to fall on the card. Are there any penalties for caring for a positive balance? I would hate to pay a penalty for solely having my money return to the account.

Any advice?

Thank you very much?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Large Positive Balance on Chase CC, what can I do?

@Anonymousback some time I had credit balances on some cards. Contacted the lenders and received payment for the credit balances and the account balances returned to zero. Not sure if there is any problem with doing that today? Edit: @K-in-Boston  reported down thread, there may be options and items to be aware of!

Message 2 of 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Large Positive Balance on Chase CC, what can I do?

Welcome to the forums!  There are no penalties for having a negative balance (a positive balance would be if your balance was greater than $0; in your case it will be below $0) with a card issuer, as long as the money spent was not used to achieve a spending bonus such as for a new card.  With the current situation, there are many travel refunds being issued, so each lender may approach that differently.  But as long as a signup bonus is not part of the equation, you are fine.  Your next statement will simply show a negative balance with no payment due, adn your balance will be reported as $0 to the credit bureaus.  You will also have rewards points deducted for the refunds with Chase, equal to what you earned on the transaction(s), and it is possible to have a negative UR points balance.  I recently (in past 2 months) had an issue where a refund from a merchant caused a Chase account to go negative because they did not refund in time before my payment was due, so I paid the account in full a few days before my statement closed and they refunded the transaction after payment was due but before statement closed.

You can either spend back up to $0 or request a check be issued to you for the negative balance.  The timeline and requirements of that vary by lender.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.