Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy’s CC vs Macy’s AMEX?

tag
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Macy’s CC vs Macy’s AMEX?

Hi! I’m going Black Friday shopping & plan to get the Macy’s CC when I’m there (expecting a baby in January & I need to buy baby clothes. The 2 days of extra discounts will help). I used to have the regular Macy’s CC but it’s closed now - I guess for inactivity?? Tried having a store look up my card number 2 months ago & they couldn’t find it. Signed in online & it said my available credit was $0 (hadn’t used it in at least a year).
Anyway, I was told I can apply again for another card.
-First, Dino have to apply for another card? Or can I call up customer service and just ask them to re-open it? (Although then I probably wouldn’t get the discount).
-Second, is there a difference when applying for the Macy’s vs the Macy’s AMEX? When I first got my card, they told me that when you apply, you apply for both and if you don’t get the AMEX, then you get the regular (if approved). Is that true? Or do I need to specify if I want the AMEX when applying?
-Third: I just got approved for the new Gold AMEX Thursday. Will that effect my chances of getting the Macy’s AMEX? I don’t really need the Macy’s AMEX (but the flexibility would be nice) so if it’s an issue, can I just apply for the regular one or do I have to tell them I just want the regular one?
-Lastly: Is it worth trying for the Macy’s AMEX? And does the AMEX show up only under Macy’s card sign in or do you see it when you log into your AMEX card sign in?

Not sure if this makes a difference but have been an AMEX cardholder since 2009.
Credit scores (based on free scores from my credit cards) range 813-845.
Other than the inquiry from Thursday, no other inquiries.
No lates or baddies.
3% utilization

Sorry this is so long-winded, as I said, I’m pregnant - my nesting instinct is making my crazy about attention to details. Lol.

Thank you for any help/input!
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macy’s CC vs Macy’s AMEX?

@BeeH11 wrote:
Hi! I’m going Black Friday shopping & plan to get the Macy’s CC when I’m there (expecting a baby in January & I need to buy baby clothes. The 2 days of extra discounts will help). I used to have the regular Macy’s CC but it’s closed now - I guess for inactivity?? Tried having a store look up my card number 2 months ago & they couldn’t find it. Signed in online & it said my available credit was $0 (hadn’t used it in at least a year).
Anyway, I was told I can apply again for another card.
-First, Dino have to apply for another card? Or can I call up customer service and just ask them to re-open it? (Although then I probably wouldn’t get the discount).
-Second, is there a difference when applying for the Macy’s vs the Macy’s AMEX? When I first got my card, they told me that when you apply, you apply for both and if you don’t get the AMEX, then you get the regular (if approved). Is that true? Or do I need to specify if I want the AMEX when applying?
-Third: I just got approved for the new Gold AMEX Thursday. Will that effect my chances of getting the Macy’s AMEX? I don’t really need the Macy’s AMEX (but the flexibility would be nice) so if it’s an issue, can I just apply for the regular one or do I have to tell them I just want the regular one?
-Lastly: Is it worth trying for the Macy’s AMEX? And does the AMEX show up only under Macy’s card sign in or do you see it when you log into your AMEX card sign in?

Not sure if this makes a difference but have been an AMEX cardholder since 2009.
Credit scores (based on free scores from my credit cards) range 813-845.
Other than the inquiry from Thursday, no other inquiries.
No lates or baddies.
3% utilization

Sorry this is so long-winded, as I said, I’m pregnant - my nesting instinct is making my crazy about attention to details. Lol.

Thank you for any help/input!

Hello! Congratulations on the new baby. I can't answer all of your questions as I am not a current Macy's card holder, although I was until 2014 when I had to include the card in bankruptcy. 

The one thing I can answer for you is the difference between your AmEx Gold and Macy's AmEx. Your AmEx Gold was issued by Centurion bank, which is American Express' bank. However, the Macy's AmEx is issued by a subdivision of Citibank. This card only uses the American Express payment network. It is not issued by Centurion Bank. So the two do not have anything to do with each other really.  

Are those Fico 8 scores you are providing? If so, your chances for approval sound good to me based on the information you provided. However, others may have more insight. 

Message 2 of 16
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

I used to work for Macy's. Here's a few tips. 1. When you apply the application is considered for both. If you only qualify for the store card, that's what you get. If you qualify for the Amex the pin pad will give you a choice of which account you want to open. I've seen people get approved w/ an amex 10K on the spot. 2. Since you had a prior account, you may not qualify for the discount. There's no way to find out until you apply and are approved. When the temp card prints outs, it will state if you qualify for the discount or not. This doesn't happen often so I'd say you're safe with that. 3. Your prior amex account has no effect. The card isn't issued by Amex, it just runs on the Amex network. 4. It will not show up on your amex login since it isn't issued by them. You will see it on the macy's log in page. Just to add, I hope you're going early friday morning, Last year around 11AM our entire credit system shut down company wide due to an overload. Accounts couldn't be looked up, new accounts couldn't be opened, even regular credit and debit wasn't accepted. The entire company was cash only for a huge chunk of the day.

Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 3 of 16
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Thank you both for your replies! Very helpful! I really appreciate it! And yes, I’m going at 6 am lol. I wake up every morning at 4 am as it is.
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 4 of 16
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

As @jonnyc has said that is exactly how it played out when I got mine back in 2015, I had 2 accounts on 1card. The little slip of paper for you to use throughout ur shopping day has ur store cl and Amex cl on it if you take both. Seems like they combined to 1 account in Aug 2016 so you may just have 1 CL now, this paper is good till your card comes. They are usually very good with SP CLI's either on site or by calling. I have enjoyed my card every since I've had it.I hope u will 2.

Congrats on your new baby,enjoy your Macy's shopping & Happy Holidays !!!!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 16
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

Yes you are correct. It is no longer 2 separate accounts. Now based on your credit you are given a choice of which account you’d like.
Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 6 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jonnyc wrote:
Yes you are correct. It is no longer 2 separate accounts. Now based on your credit you are given a choice of which account you’d like.

I know that a while back Macy's merged all the various revolving PLCC accounts together (jewelry, major purchase, etc.), but have they also merged the Amex into the store line?

My understanding was that the Amex credit line was still separate from the 'store' credit line, but perhaps I'm mistaken. 

Message 7 of 16
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Thank you @9CLINE!
Message 8 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jonnyc wrote:

@jonnyc, actually, that's not entirely accurate.  My Macy's retail card account and AmEx both report separately and both have different due dates.  My previous Macy's Jewelry, Major Purchase/Furniture and standard non-MPA lines were combined into one single account during the last conversion years ago.  However, the account management online displays both separately.

Message 9 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@jonnyc wrote:

I know that a while back Macy's merged all the various revolving PLCC accounts together (jewelry, major purchase, etc.), but have they also merged the Amex into the store line?

My understanding was that the Amex credit line was still separate from the 'store' credit line, but perhaps I'm mistaken. 

That is correct @UncleB.  That is how it functions and displays at least on my end.  Nordstrom Visa and Saks Fifth Avenue WEMC, for instance, provide a consolidated statement for different account types, one single access line for all, and one single due date.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.