Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Relationship with Amex

tag
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Managing Relationship with Amex

Amex has let me know that I'm in the doghouse with them. I canceled a card before the AF hit (I know better; it was nerves at the beginning of the pandemic), and while they approved a subsequent card, they gave me a small CL ($1k vs. $20-25k with my other Amex cards). Do I need to do anything special to repair this relationship? How will I know when I'm out of the doghouse?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Managing Relationship with Amex

@VanderSnoot wrote:
Do I need to do anything special to repair this relationship?

Bribe an "Amex"  programmer to remove the "doghouse" flag. or

wait a long time.

How will I know when I'm out of the doghouse?.

When they start approving CL increases.

Message 2 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

Do I need to do anything special to repair this relationship? 

Spend regularly and PIF.  Rinse and repeat.   If you keep it up they will forgive what they see as you having sinned. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

Amex has let me know that I'm in the doghouse with them. I canceled a card before the AF hit (I know better; it was nerves at the beginning of the pandemic), and while they approved a subsequent card, they gave me a small CL ($1k vs. $20-25k with my other Amex cards). Do I need to do anything special to repair this relationship? How will I know when I'm out of the doghouse?

Is it possible you are at Max with them in regards to income?. If you have various 20-25k cards, doesnt mean every card you get from them will be the same. Just a thought. 

Message 4 of 23
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Should I request a CLI? I'm well past 61 days, but it hadn't occured to me. I figured I'd hang my head for a year or two and not putz around with Amex or this card.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't 61 day CLI only apply to the first ever card you had with them? 

Also, as Joe already mentioned upthread you may be at their ceiling having other cards with higher limits.  That's where I am right now, based on my icome if I were to apply for another revolver it would very likely be less than $1,500 because of my CL's on other cards. The last CLI was also not very high. 

Message 6 of 23
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

I'm not at an income ceiling. I didn't respond to AJ's point in the hope that we could slide past it, so I wouldn't be seen as contributing to the income bragging that sometimes occurs on this site.

Message 7 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

How many AmEx revolving cards do you currently have - personal and biz?  What is the aggregate exposure on all of your AmEx revolvers, (excluding charge cards & POT)?  When was the last time you requested a CLI on any of them?   Which card did you close before the 12 months were up - was it a charge card or revolver - AND did you collect a SUB on that card?

Message 8 of 23
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

How many AmEx revolving cards do you currently have - personal and biz? 3

What is the aggregate exposure on all of your AmEx revolvers, (excluding charge cards & POT)? $41k

When was the last time you requested a CLI on any of them? Never

Which card did you close before the 12 months were up - was it a charge card or revolver - AND did you collect a SUB on that card? Revolver; Delta Gold; Yes, but didn't use and wasn't clawed back when PCed to Delta Blue

Message 9 of 23
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

Should I request a CLI? I'm well past 61 days, but it hadn't occured to me. I figured I'd hang my head for a year or two and not putz around with Amex or this card.

This is the route I'd recommend. It doesn't hurt to ask for one, especially since there's no HP. 

[2/2019]
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.