Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Member since 14…?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Member since 14…?

Does being an Amex being for a long period of time have any benefits or make any differnce?

i recently moved to the USA.  I have been a Goldcard member since 2014.

I was planning on using the Amex global transfer program.  However today I found out because I opened a corporate card with my job (I had to) and now have "established" credit (I've been in the Us for 3 months) that I am not eligible for the global transfer . Global transfer is only eligible if you have no credit lines at all.  I applied for an Amex gold in the USA and got rejected for obvious reasons.

I am thinking of changing to another card and closing my Amex accounts.  Does being a member since 2014 make any difference to anything? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Member since 14…?

Not really.

Even if you do close all your accounts, if you open another later on they remember.

Mine says member since 92 because my mom made me an AU on her card when I turned 18, despite going about 10 years with no Amex accounts.

Message 2 of 3
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Member since 14…?

@Anonymous wrote:

Does being an Amex being for a long period of time have any benefits or make any differnce?

i recently moved to the USA.  I have been a Goldcard member since 2014.

I was planning on using the Amex global transfer program.  However today I found out because I opened a corporate card with my job (I had to) and now have "established" credit (I've been in the Us for 3 months) that I am not eligible for the global transfer . Global transfer is only eligible if you have no credit lines at all.  I applied for an Amex gold in the USA and got rejected for obvious reasons.

I am thinking of changing to another card and closing my Amex accounts.  Does being a member since 2014 make any difference to anything? 

Hi @Anonymous, and welcome to myFICO! welcome.gif

The information you were given by the Global Transfer rep doesn't seem consistent with what they've done in the past, although of course things can and do change.  That said, it might be worth calling them back and speaking with another rep, making sure to specify that you truly have no U.S. credit. 

It seems like the first rep you spoke with was confused by your recent Corporate Card, which is a head-scratcher since it should have been clear that having that particular card doesn't mean you've established U.S. credit, just that your employer required you to get it.

In any case, many people have established new credit in the U.S. without Amex's help so it's definitely not the end of the world if they don't cooperate.  If Global Transfer can help, though, it would likely speed things up a bit. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.