Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU?

"Are you affiliated in any way with the Armed Forces, DoD, Coast Guard or National Guard?"

"Congratulations! If you have grandparents, parents, a spouse, siblings, grandchildren or children who belong to one of those groups, you're eligible for membership with Navy Federal Credit Union."

My father is retired US Army, my brother is Air For Reserves, I live with neither of them and I qualified for membership. Neither of them have an account with NFCU nor are they required to open one in order to sponsor me.

If you are related to someone who would qualify you then you should have answered yes to the firat question because you ARE AFFILIATED through your relationship.
Message 11 of 20
cody205
Established Member

It would be much easier to have your family member join, and then you join under them. I just got my girlfriend(who lives with me) a membership. They didn't even ask for her ID or anything. They just verified my access number, and address information, etc then did the application for her. She gave them her address, and everything was fine! It's easy and affordable, too. Only $5.00 for membership.

Starting Score: EX 452 10/2014
Current Score: EQ 559 TU 551 EX 558 04/15/2015
GOAL Score: 625 by AUG 2015
. . . $600 . . . . . . . $300 . . . . . . . $500 . . .
Message 12 of 20
chbartel
Regular Contributor

@cody205 wrote:

It would be much easier to have your family member join, and then you join under them. I just got my girlfriend(who lives with me) a membership. They didn't even ask for her ID or anything. They just verified my access number, and address information, etc then did the application for her. She gave them her address, and everything was fine! It's easy and affordable, too. Only $5.00 for membership.

I just chatted with NFCU asking them this specifically.  She said that the family member doesn't have to be a member for someone under them to join....as long as the person they are joining under was one in the required categories.   She did say I need to call in to do the membership on the phone. I asked what information I need from father, they said nothing but would contact me later if they need anything else. How do they verify someone was miliary, some type of database somewhere??

Message 13 of 20
NYFan63
Established Contributor

I joined NFCU over a year ago due to my father being a deceased Air Force retiree

Penfed Platinum Sig Visa $33k, PenFed PLOC $25k, NFCU Cash VISA Sig 22k, NFCU Visa Flagship 22k, CAP1 Venture $23k, CAP1 Venture One $15k, NFCU NAV Check $15k, Barclays Arrival $13,2k, DCU VISA 5k, Cap1 QS 7.5k, WF Finance 3.5k, Merrick 2.2k, Barclays Apple Financing 6.1k BestBuy 5k >Ch7 BK filed 8/09; DC 01/10 EQ 636 Nov 13;
EQ08 718 | TU 731 | EXP 728
Inqs: EQ 11, TU 8, EXP 11(last 2 yrs)
Goal 750+ In the Garden til

Message 14 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

My mother just called and provided my uncle's name, dob,military rank when he retired and last base he worked. Easy peasy. She was approved in a couple days. Not sure if they check some sort of database.
Message 15 of 20
gibeon
Established Contributor

After seeing this thread, I just applied online. Father passed while in the AF reserves, mother is retired AF nurse.

That was the FASTEST bank account setup and funding I've ever seen. My new checking and savings are already showing my initial deposits as available balance.

Will probably end up with their secured card in a few weeks, unless they're feeling REALLY generous.

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 16 of 20
chbartel
Regular Contributor

@gibeon wrote:

After seeing this thread, I just applied online. Father passed while in the AF reserves, mother is retired AF nurse.

That was the FASTEST bank account setup and funding I've ever seen. My new checking and savings are already showing my initial deposits as available balance.

Will probably end up with their secured card in a few weeks, unless they're feeling REALLY generous.

my wife applied on the phone(since online chat told me to). Her brother retired from army.  They got account setup wtihin like 5 minutes and actually never even asked for my wife's brothers name, etc!!    We just applied for  a car loan after joining and have conditional approval for $50k...just sent them bank statements and tax return for last year.  Our credit scores are in the 630's right now as we rebuild.  I guess I will research their secure cards..

Message 17 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@chbartel wrote:

@gibeon wrote:

my wife applied on the phone(since online chat told me to). Her brother retired from army.  They got account setup wtihin like 5 minutes and actually never even asked for my wife's brothers name, etc!!    We just applied for  a car loan after joining and have conditional approval for $50k...just sent them bank statements and tax return for last year.  Our credit scores are in the 630's right now as we rebuild.  I guess I will research their secure cards..

you have NO reason to go secured... Apply for any of the regular credit cards other than Flagship.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got in with NFCU over the phone due to my grandparent being in. all they did was credit check me. if you're above 550 then they approve you automatically. if you're below then they check the records of your eligible family member.

also, if you're at least 550 then they'll approve you for an auto loan in 24 hours or under lol. they be cray cray
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

when i sold cars in an army town and we couldn't get a soldier approved we sent them to navy and they came back with a check in hand that day.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.