Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPSL Amex Cards

tag
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

NPSL Amex Cards

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if someone had an educated guess what the "CL" is on this card. I know it can vary.  Is there a way to estimate what the range could be.  I do not want to go to make a purcahse and it declines.  I just recieved the card in the mail today.  I charged $500.00 on it and paid it off with in a hour of charging it.  I have other Amex Cards as well but not too high limits as they are new as well.

Thank you,

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NPSL Amex Cards

Call and ask. 

@CostantinoA wrote:

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if someone had an educated guess what the "CL" is on this card. I know it can vary.  Is there a way to estimate what the range could be.  I do not want to go to make a purcahse and it declines.  I just recieved the card in the mail today.  I charged $500.00 on it and paid it off with in a hour of charging it.  I have other Amex Cards as well but not too high limits!

Thank you,

Message 2 of 28
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@CostantinoA wrote:

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if someone had an educated guess what the "CL" is on this card. I know it can vary.  Is there a way to estimate what the range could be.  I do not want to go to make a purcahse and it declines.  I just recieved the card in the mail today.  I charged $500.00 on it and paid it off with in a hour of charging it.  I have other Amex Cards as well but not too high limits!

Thank you,

It's really hard to estimate, the Amex charge cards internal limits are based on payment history, income and credit history. With good usage and perfect payment history the limit does go up over time.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 28
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

I don't think there is a set limit considering it is a No Pre Set Limit Card.

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 4 of 28
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@CostantinoA wrote:

Oh there is a limit, and Amex will adjust it according to changes in your credit report. For example, if your overall utilization rises to high levels, Amex will reduce the internal limit on the card or even place a hard limit on the card.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 5 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Discover2016 wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

Oh there is a limit, and Amex will adjust it according to changes in your credit report. For example, if your overall utilization rises to high levels, Amex will reduce the internal limit on the card or even place a hard limit on the card.

+1

Before I make a large purchase, I tend to go online and use their tool to check my 'spending power'... it will tell you if at that moment that dollar amount would be approved.

I've done this with my Amex revolvers as well, since the tool also makes the Amex computer aware to be expecting a purchase of that dollar amount.  A member on here who is an Amex CSR mentioned this once in a thread, and I've done this several times on my revolvers instead of calling, and so far it's worked like a charm.  (Of course, it might not have been required to begin with, either... in any case, I was covered).

Note that the tool is to see if a single purchase will be approved... in other words, if you check on a $5k purchase and the tool says you're good, that does not mean that five $1k purchases would be approved as well.  Note also that it can be used to see if purchases above your credit limit on revolving cards would be approved (many times they will be). 

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it doesn't mean unlimited spending but it would be nice if Amex gave each customer a ball park they can spend around.
Message 7 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I know it doesn't mean unlimited spending but it would be nice if Amex gave each customer a ball park they can spend around.

FWIW, with my current NPSL card and the one I had back in the '90s, I found that I was/am able to charge much more than I could ever pay back in a month, so my chance of being denied for the amount being too high is very remote.

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is also the flip side of the single purchase approved limit.

I was rejected for a multi-thousand charge.  I tried it again over the next couple days broken up to a few $1000 charges.  Over the next 3 days I've charged up more than the single multi-thousand charge was going to be.

So they can reject you for higher than your internal limit as well as for single large purchase amounts.

Message 9 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

@CostantinoA wrote:

You are correct, that is what "No Pre Set Spending Limit" means.

It is a Dynamic Spending Limit. Meaning that the "spending limit" will be reduced and deny a charge when they decide you've charged enough. This can change from moment to moment, depending on your recent charging activity.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.