Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Chase set internal maximums?

tag
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

How does Chase set internal maximums?

Hey all!
Anyone know/have an educated guess as to how Chase sets a person's internal CL across all cards? Currently I have about $40k in limits from them. I am going to apply for another Chase card in the next month or so and I want to know if I should expect a denial for hitting the max internal limit (4/24, high household income and credit scores b/t 788-796, utilization is 8%). I'm not worried about getting denied for any reason other than maybe max internal limit. If I do get denied for this I plan to move credit over to get approved but just kinda wanted to know what to expect. Also, would I better off calling and applying over the phone and if they say no, then can re-con immediately (I don't even know if this is an option)?
Thanks all!
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does Chase set internal maximums?

Hi, Bee!

How long have you had your current Chase cards for? Limits on each card?

Chase also seems to place a great deal of value on PIF in configuring the Chase internal score, so if that is your practice, it may raise your Chase internal score.

Which Chase card do you plan to apply for?

Message 2 of 14
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Hi Humu!
I got my United card Jan 2013 and current limit $8800. I have CSP and got that a year and half ago and the current limit is $31,100. (Had SW but just closed it last month and transferred CL to the CSP card).

I just paid off all the Chase cards (was carrying balances on 2 of them for a while) but now DH and I pay off all balances each month (only my AMEX has a balance right now, that one is next to get paid off).

I am undecided about what card to apply to (still debating). Interested in the new Reserve maybe (if I get that one, will close CSP), the FU and the Freedom. Long term/down the road, I want 3 cards: the Freedom (for the 5% categories), FU and either the CSP or Reserve.
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bee,

It sounds as if you have a very good length of relationship with Chase overall (from 2013) and a nice CSP limit as well. Having just paid off all the Chase cards to zero balance is good in addition.

None of us know for sure what your specific Chase internal limit might be, but your profile looks strong.

Your FICO Scores are high, income is high, and your utilization is good, so I'd say to research the card you would like and be sure it will fit your needs, and go for it! You have some strong positives in your favor. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Awesome! Thanks Humu!
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BeeH11 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks Humu!

You are very welcome and I'm happy to help! Please let us know how things go for you. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Will do!
Message 7 of 14
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Currently I have Chase limits at 42% of my annual income. Not sure if it is my internal limit or not though. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 8 of 14
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Peter- thanks! That's informative!
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do any offers come up for you on their prequalifier page?

https://www.chase.com/prequalified

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.