Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Questions

tag
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Navy Federal Questions

In May 2019, I applied for the NFCU Amex card and was approved with a SL of $20k. A few months later, I PC'd it to the Flagship Rewards VISA.

A year has passed since the account was opened and I'm looking for some guidance. Based on what I've read here, I assume I'm long overdue for a CLI, which I could request to, say, $25k and it would be a soft pull?

Navy's site also shows me as being prequalified for all their cards, so I assume an app for a 2nd card would likely result in approval? Can I apply for a 2nd Flagship Rewards VISA? What is a typical SL on a 2nd card if I already have a $20k limit on another one?

For what it's worth, the only other Navy products I have are a checking account and savings account with minimal use. There have been no blemishes on my credit over the past year (in fact, an old unpaid charge-off that was there last year has now dropped off) and no inquiries or new accounts in more than 6 months.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Questions

@krmurrayjr10 wrote:

In May 2019, I applied for the NFCU Amex card and was approved with a SL of $20k. A few months later, I PC'd it to the Flagship Rewards VISA.

A year has passed since the account was opened and I'm looking for some guidance. Based on what I've read here, I assume I'm long overdue for a CLI, which I could request to, say, $25k and it would be a soft pull?

Navy's site also shows me as being prequalified for all their cards, so I assume an app for a 2nd card would likely result in approval? Can I apply for a 2nd Flagship Rewards VISA? What is a typical SL on a 2nd card if I already have a $20k limit on another one?

For what it's worth, the only other Navy products I have are a checking account and savings account with minimal use. There have been no blemishes on my credit over the past year (in fact, an old unpaid charge-off that was there last year has now dropped off) and no inquiries or new accounts in more than 6 months.

You could ask for more.  They will counter.  Usually 8k is the biggest bump people see on higher limits.

Why would you want a second Flagship, especially with no active SUB for it at the moment?  The platinum would not be useful to you to have in case of wanting to do a BT?

There is a really good thread that can be helpful.  It's long, but generally the last few pages tend to answer most questions, and if it turns out you don't see your question, all of the regular Navy folk tend to frequent it/are super helpful.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 2 of 5
thornback
Senior Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

@krmurrayjr10 wrote:

You could ask for more.  They will counter.  Usually 8k is the biggest bump people see on higher limits.

Why would you want a second Flagship, especially with no active SUB for it at the moment?  The platinum would not be useful to you to have in case of wanting to do a BT?

There is a really good thread that can be helpful.  It's long, but generally the last few pages tend to answer most questions, and if it turns out you don't see your question, all of the regular Navy folk tend to frequent it/are super helpful.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

And, the usefulness of the Platinum extends beyond BTs.  It's a low APR card (lowest 5.99% currently) which is great to have on hand for unplanned large expenses that one may wish to pay off over several months instead of immediately in full.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@krmurrayjr10 wrote:

I wouldnt put alot of stock in their prequal.  Getting 20k out of the gate most likely means you are one of those individuals who score back to back 20k plus limits so im assuming you have a high income.  If you were approved a FS on your first try odds are you can get it again. Your choice if you want a sub or not, which there is not one right now. You can go for a Plat now or CR then maybe yry the FS as your third card later. Aa for cli, all you need to do is askSmiley Wink. Id time it after scores update with 3 reports locked  to be safe but if they request you unlock, do so if you want the cli.

Message 4 of 5
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Simple answer to the question, I think you would be approved for another Flagship with probably a good CL (hard to guess exactly, but I'd expect $15k-$25k range). Caveat, I do not know if NFCU specifically blocks you from having two of the same type card, but I am guessing not.

More complex answer: why do you want two Flagships? I could see it if the SUB was available, but, it's not. If it's intended mainly as a way to have additional Flagship total credit limit available, why not just request a credit limit increase? There is no reason to limit your request to another $5k. NFCU will give up to $80k across all of your cards.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.