Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with determining which Credit Card would be the best

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with determining which Credit Card would be the best

Here is my situation. Currently only have one credit card, BoA Alaskan Airlines (since 2008) that is pretty much maxed, $6k balance on a $7k limit. I would like to open another card with a 0% balance transfer to help me pay this down as well as lower my utilization. 

I have solid credit history, no delinquents and have perfect payment history. No current loans or installment payments and last credit check was earlier this year, a 704 with Experien.

I have been comparing the Chase Freedom, Slate and Discover IT and wanted to see what your experiences were and what chances you think I have of qualifying for each card. Which card would be best for my situation?

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help with determining which Credit Card would be the best

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my situation. Currently only have one credit card, BoA Alaskan Airlines (since 2008) that is pretty much maxed, $6k balance on a $7k limit. I would like to open another card with a 0% balance transfer to help me pay this down as well as lower my utilization. 

I have solid credit history, no delinquents and have perfect payment history. No current loans or installment payments and last credit check was earlier this year, a 704 with Experien.

I have been comparing the Chase Freedom, Slate and Discover IT and wanted to see what your experiences were and what chances you think I have of qualifying for each card. Which card would be best for my situation?

Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked the Chase pre approval site ?  It can be difficult to get a balance transfer card when you have your current card(s) maxed out. Vi would start by checking out the preapproval site and see if you have any luck there.  There are some other good balance transfer cards out there like the Citi Simplicity

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, that is not something I have done yet but will this afternoon. I fearethat my credit limit on a new card would not be enough to cover the total balance transfer but I guess any amount helps.

Is Citi reasonable when it comes to allowing a chance of card, after my balance is paid off it would obviously make more sense for me to change to a rewards card.

Message 3 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance. 

The only one I have experience with is Discover IT. It's a nice card for cash back rewards but don't use it for this balance transfer purpose! The first balance transfer with them took almost a month to go through.

Slate is reputed to be among the best cards for balance transfers, so go with that one.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance. 

BTW, if you want a card you're very likely to get approved for, I would suggest a Capital One card. They have good permanent balance transfer policies. I have 5 Cap One cards, and 4 of them offer me fee-free balance transfers.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, that is not something I have done yet but will this afternoon. I fearethat my credit limit on a new card would not be enough to cover the total balance transfer but I guess any amount helps.

Is Citi reasonable when it comes to allowing a chance of card, after my balance is paid off it would obviously make more sense for me to change to a rewards card.

I assume you mean 'change' of a card.  Yes they do allow product changes.  You always want to consider bonuses available on new cards before doing a product change.  You are correct in thinking that you might have a hard time getting a new card with a big enough limit to do a complete balance transfer.  You could always apply for two cards and sp,it the existing balance between the two new cards.  And SouthJamaica has a good idea about the CapOne cards.  Check their preapproval site as well.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My issue with Cap1 is that they are only 0% until March 2016, the others are 15-18 months

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My issue with Cap1 is that they are only 0% until March 2016, the others are 15-18 months

Understandable.. The Citi Simplicity is actually 21 months

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were to apply and only do a balance transfer of 3K towards a new Citi card is there anything to stop me from transfering the remaining balance of my BoA card say a month later if my credit limit would allow it?

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I were to apply and only do a balance transfer of 3K towards a new Citi card is there anything to stop me from transfering the remaining balance of my BoA card say a month later if my credit limit would allow it?

Yup, you could do that

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.