Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSky Account Closed

tag
Boribori
Contributor

OpenSky Account Closed

Well after debating back and forth in my head about what to do I finally closed my OpenSky visa account. I had the account open for almost 3 years. It did an amazing job helping me rebuild my credit and reporting to all 3 bureaus. I don't consider them predator at all just sub prime. I only paid the AF of $35 one time and that was it fee wise for the almost 3 years I had the account. After the first year I went to cancel the card they waived the AF and the other year after that. I only kept it open to help my payment history and age of accounts. They even offered to waive the AF again when I called them again today. The fact that they dont run your credit to open the account and report to all 3 bureaus for $35 isnt terrible for some people who cant go to disco secured or any other secured cards. They have the ability to be a better product for sure by adding at least 1% Cb and/or no AF. But I get it. they make theyre money off the AF and other fees. They're not a massive bank like chase BoA etc. It's cool though. It was bittersweet but I have so many better cards now. It was time. 

Total Credit Limit : $29,600
14 REPLIES 14
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: OpenSky Account Closed

I would have maybe kept it, so long as they waive the AF.  But I am glad it worked well for you and you have moved on to bigger and better.  Congrats.    

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 15
Boribori
Contributor

@ptatohed Yeah, I could have but I didn't need them holding my security deposit any longer. I believe it was long overdue. I just have too many card with No AFs that give me significantly better rewards. Like you said I could have definitely kept it open but I just didn't really see a point. It did its job well and thats it. Time to keep moving on to better pastures. 

Total Credit Limit : $29,600
Message 3 of 15
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Boribori wrote:

@ptatohed Yeah, I could have but I didn't need them holding my security deposit any longer. I believe it was long overdue. I just have too many card with No AFs that give me significantly better rewards. Like you said I could have definitely kept it open but I just didn't really see a point. It did its job well and thats it. Time to keep moving on to better pastures. 

Makes sense Bor.  Good for you!  Smiley Happy   

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 4 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Thats what rebuild cards are for. Build the foundation to move on to better things. Congrats. Least you didnt trash them like some do once closed.

Message 5 of 15
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing @Boribori 

Message 6 of 15
keekers
Established Contributor

OpenSky definitely serves a purpose and for that I salute them. On to the next stage for you. Cheers.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Boribori wrote:

Well after debating back and forth in my head about what to do I finally closed my OpenSky visa account. I had the account open for almost 3 years. It did an amazing job helping me rebuild my credit and reporting to all 3 bureaus. I don't consider them predator at all just sub prime. I only paid the AF of $35 one time and that was it fee wise for the almost 3 years I had the account. After the first year I went to cancel the card they waived the AF and the other year after that. I only kept it open to help my payment history and age of accounts. They even offered to waive the AF again when I called them again today. The fact that they dont run your credit to open the account and report to all 3 bureaus for $35 isnt terrible for some people who cant go to disco secured or any other secured cards. They have the ability to be a better product for sure by adding at least 1% Cb and/or no AF. But I get it. they make theyre money off the AF and other fees. They're not a massive bank like chase BoA etc. It's cool though. It was bittersweet but I have so many better cards now. It was time. 

Sounds like they're one of the better subprime banks, and you used them well. Congratulations on not needing them anymore!

Message 8 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 15
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Cheers to that!  Time to update your signature. 

Hopefully you will get some CLI on your Capital One cards shortly...

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.