Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Balance Transfer Offer

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

PenFed Balance Transfer Offer

Hey guys! So I got an email from PenFed offering a 0% APR balance transfer for 12 months. I wanted to take advantage of this, but on the offer itself, it says "Subject to Credit Approval". Does this mean it can possibly be a hard pull?

Also, I was able to click on the link in the email, but now it keeps saying "Forbidden" when I try to click on the link. It was working perfectly fine this morning.

Thanks! Heart

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: PenFed Balance Transfer Offer

Not a hard pull (They didn't even do a soft pull) -- I think they mean you have to have the credit available to cover your BT amount and / or if you have prior late payments or some other negative history with them, they may rescind the offer.    I took advantage of a BT offer with them a couple of months ago.. very easy, and they're quick with processing. 

As far as the non-working link,  I can't help you..   I guess just try again later -- or you could call them and complete the BT by phone.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Wont be a HP although they could decline BT based on recent AR score, but honestly never seen this happen they are just covering their behinds is all

Message 3 of 14
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Not a hard pull (They didn't even do a soft pull) -- I think they mean you have to have the credit available to cover your BT amount and / or if you have prior late payments or some other negative history with them, they may rescind the offer.    I took advantage of a BT offer with them a couple of months ago.. very easy, and they're quick with processing. 

Oh ok that makes sense! So, if I log into my account and just do a balance transfer (without clicking the link in my email) do you think I'll still get that 0% APR? The link isn't working anymore, but it says you have until April 30th to take advantage.

Nevermind! Just read the edit on your reply.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 4 of 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

haha... sorry,  I was trying to add the edit really fast before you had a chance to read the post... lol.  You're too quick for me!  

So -- When I did my BT,  the page the email link brought me to looked that same as the standard transfer page I would see when navigating from my main account page - and the BT terms on provided on both pages did not match the BT offer... so I called customer service.   The rep said the BT offer terms will be applied so long as the transfer is completed within the specified time frame for that offer.   So I went ahead and did it online (figuring I'd call back and raise H.E.Double.Hockey.Sticks if I was charged regular interest or whatever fees...).   Sure enough, the special terms of the BT offer were applied just as the rep said it would be.   So..  just an FYI.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 14
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Don’t worry about the forbidden thing it’s just a bug in their latest software update. Will be fixed soon enough.
Message 6 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hrm had forgotten Penfed did a 0% BT offer occasionally, thanks for the reminder OP!  I assume like Penfed's other offers it comes with checks for the BT deal?

I may try to establish a revolver there just for that really so I can play amortization games with some loans... happy to close my nearly unused PLOC if that's required too.  Guess we'll see after I finish up with business apps once the new company paperwork arrives, not like anyone else is going to look at my EQ report anyway unless Chase decides to double-pull me for the first time ever.

        
Message 7 of 14
Jen-Jen
Established Member

I actually called Penfed earlier since i have a balance that I can/want to pay off before I transfer anything over to not pay interest on it. She really threw me off when she said that I would be ok to do right after paying, but that I would "need to go ahead and apply?!!" I was first looking on the website and app which says March 31st, but have that same email saying April 30th; it also says forbidden when I try to click through it. Perhaps that is why the email is not working...

Message 8 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

BT offers with penfed pretty much are always around not just set time periods just gotta call them and ask for them and chances are you have one i get spammed by BT offers from penfed and occassionally get checks as well from them.   To answer your question @Revelate   - checks are sent i don't believe you can request them on the fly like regular bt's with penfed and provide them with another account to pay off.  Be nice if they were like the checks the 5/3rd and numerous other lenders always send me as i have a big cl with them in comparison to say 5/3rd

Message 9 of 14
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

BT offers with penfed pretty much are always around not just set time periods just gotta call them and ask for them and chances are you have one i get spammed by BT offers from penfed and occassionally get checks as well from them.   To answer your question @Revelate   - checks are sent i don't believe you can request them on the fly like regular bt's with penfed and provide them with another account to pay off.  Be nice if they were like the checks the 5/3rd and numerous other lenders always send me as i have a big cl with them in comparison to say 5/3rd

I got an email from PenFed saying a check was on the way, but I never received it. I have no idea what that was even about.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.