Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Platinum Rewards preapproval???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Platinum Rewards preapproval???

Okay so I got the mail today and I got a pre approval from Penfed for the Platinum Rewards card which give 5x on gas, 3x on groceries and 1x everywhere else.  I already have the Sam's Club mastercard giving me 5% cashback on gas and 3% back on dining and travel so I'm probably not going to app for this card although the no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee is definitely a nice a touch. 

Just have some questions for the owners of this card (since I'm curious that I even got a preapproval from Penfed in the first place) if I go to Canada for example and buy gas there for a rental car will I still get 5x back on gas purchases or is it just in the United States?  Same goes for buying groceries?  Also does 1 point equal 1 cent or not?  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: PenFed Platinum Rewards preapproval???

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay so I got the mail today and I got a pre approval from Penfed for the Platinum Rewards card which give 5x on gas, 3x on groceries and 1x everywhere else.  I already have the Sam's Club mastercard giving me 5% cashback on gas and 3% back on dining and travel so I'm probably not going to app for this card although the no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee is definitely a nice a touch. 

Just have some questions for the owners of this card (since I'm curious that I even got a preapproval from Penfed in the first place) if I go to Canada for example and buy gas there for a rental car will I still get 5x back on gas purchases or is it just in the United States?  Same goes for buying groceries?  Also does 1 point equal 1 cent or not?  

It's not just the US, Ive got 3x on supermarkets in Europe for example.   But...., it's not 1cpp, more like 0.85cpp (when redeemed for a Visa gift card)

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Platinum Rewards preapproval???

Thanks for the info.  Yeah 1 point being worth less then 1 cent is a no no for me.  I like that earns on gas and groceries the same internationally but the points being worth less than 1 cent is a deal breaker.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.