Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on maximizing Chase UR Points with CSP, CSR & Freedom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on maximizing Chase UR Points with CSP, CSR & Freedom

Good day everyone, new member here, look forward to meeting everyone!

I have been a long time Amex Plat member and have recently been looking into the UR point system from Chase since from what I read it rivals or beats the MR system in a lot of ways. So looking to step up my rewards game a little!

That said, I was hoping to get some insights from some of the savvy members who like the challenge of playing around with reward systems. I have been reading the best cards to get form chase to maximize rewards are:

• CSR (maximize UR point value redemption, flexible travel credit and point xfer from other cards)
  • Freedom (5X UR in quarterly rotating categories)
  • CSP (thinking of getting this so that i can downgrade this to another freedom to have additional capacity in category spend for Freedom)

I am choosing CSR over CSP as my card to keep because after the travel credit its only really an an out of pocket difference of around $55.

A couple questions:

• Does anyone know if purchasing giftcards in category stores (i.e. if category was grocery purchasing various giftcards in the store) will i still get the 5X bonus in that category?
  • For applying, I have not applied to any cards in several years. Do you think I should apply for 2 of these at once to concentrate hard inquiries on my credit so I take the hit one time instead of spreading out? Then they will both come off at the same time was my logic.

I am open to any suggestions if my initial strategy isn't correct. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Question on maximizing Chase UR Points with CSP, CSR & Freedom

welcome.  generally speaking anything is going to beat out a platinum except for flight and perks imo.  what are your 3 fico 8 scores, utilization, and file age?  how is your income?  what is the highest limit on a revolver you have?  do you see yourself doing a bit in international travel?

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bourgogne,

Thanks for the reply. I know that the Amex MR is not the best. But i plan to keep the card anyway since i have been a member for so long and have accumulated so many points. My plan is not necessarily a replacement, but instead an addition to my rewards capabilities.

As for my general credit statistics. I never carry a balance on any CC so usage never goes over 10%. Score is 810+ depending on agency, income is six figures and highest revolver is 12.5K.

Im also good for at least one international trip per year. This year specifically will likely be two.

Message 3 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A couple questions:

• Does anyone know if purchasing giftcards in category stores (i.e. if category was grocery purchasing various giftcards in the store)

The question is missing some words!   But assuming you mean something like "Is it OK and will I get the rewards" the answer is yes, at an appropriate level.   (Regularly spending several thousand dollars at a grocery store, with something like the Amex gold, might cause scrutiny)

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anymore, they have a one sapphire rule so you can't get both the CSR and CSP. I'd suggest the CSR/freedom/freedom unlimited. You can product change the freedom unlimited to a freedom after year 1, or if you decide you want 2 freedoms and the unlimited, you can also get a slate and after year one product change that to a second freedom.
Message 5 of 25
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Bourgogne,

Thanks for the reply. I know that the Amex MR is not the best. But i plan to keep the card anyway since i have been a member for so long and have accumulated so many points. My plan is not necessarily a replacement, but instead an addition to my rewards capabilities.

As for my general credit statistics. I never carry a balance on any CC so usage never goes over 10%. Score is 810+ depending on agency, income is six figures and highest revolver is 12.5K.

Im also good for at least one international trip per year. This year specifically will likely be two.

hey, there is no best, its about finding the best tool for the job.  I have both MR & UR and I don't use cash back as my entire focus is international travel.  I have an au plat and the only thing I use it for is the centurion lounge access - waiting for LAX to open!  I view it as a perk card nothing more.  unless you are fully exploiting the card or you just like the looks a business blue plus makes an excellent placeholder for your pts and is a pretty decent card in its own right, comes with purchase protection, etc.  I pretty much only use chase cards.  I use the freedoms and the csr. and try to only use the csr when I travel.  I use the ink cards, I use the preferred for cell protection, cash for fuel and office and the unlimited for everything else.  I use the freedom unlimited for grocery and the ink for the rest.  I know this is leaving a lot on the table but I dont have the time or interest to micro-manage it any further than what I am doing.  I just added the $1.5K dell offer to my BGR, that is easy money.  I dont use my BBP or ED for anything.  the huge downside of the ink cash and unlimited is the FTF and the preferred only gets 2% on restaurants.  sorry for the core dump, obviously I need to rethink my coffee intake lol. 

Message 6 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I find the biggest problem with going all in the UR ecosystem is if you do a lot of grocery shopping since at best you can only get 5x one quarter with the freedom and 1.5x the rest of the year with the FU. I personally have been using less of my chase cards since I got amex gold. Restaurants and grocery goto gold card, then most of the other stuff goes to chase. CIP has cell phone protection 3x travel, ink cash has TV, internet, and some GC I get at staples like amazon and shell for gas.  Its not the most optimal way of gaining points but good enough for me. I have soured a bit on UR due to them dropping KE and UAL deavaluation, which isn't totally chase's fault. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 25
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I’d say the best combo is the Ink cards, Freedom, and CSR. As far as value goes, UR and MR aren’t too different, just depends on where you typically fly.

[2/2019]
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with mongstradamus, it's probably a good long play to get both a UR and MR setup, you can run a trifecta for each without any significant overlap, get most points for both systems, and help to safeguard yourself from devaluations.
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Anymore, they have a one sapphire rule so you can't get both the CSR and CSP.

Wow this is probably the worst news. Thanks for letting me know though. The main reason i wanted both was so i could product change the CSP to another freedom card and really rack up the 5X points. 

@bourgogne - thanks a lot for that insight. No worries the more coffee you drink the more information I get haha. Sounds like you may have a business so you can get the cards like business blue plus. I don't have that ability so if you have another other card with that same type spending for individuals id love to hear it.

I was thinking about getting the Amex gold because the earning is so much better the plat but i use the travel/uber credits etc all the time. That was why i was thinking of starting to accumulate UR points so i can some better earning potential. I'm not really particular to an airline. All the big guys have pretty much the same accommodations and i have several major hubs in my vicinity.

In regards of no longer owning the CSP and CSR combo. Is there any benefit to having them both besides product change the CSP to another freedom card?

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.