Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Disco CLI Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Disco CLI Question

So, tomorrow will be 31 days since my 1st Disco CLI. I am going to pay my balance down to zero before my next statement cuts the last week of the month. Should I pay down to zero now before hitting the luv button? Could it possibly make a difference?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Quick Disco CLI Question

@Anonymous wrote:
So, tomorrow will be 31 days since my 1st Disco CLI. I am going to pay my balance down to zero before my next statement cuts the last week of the month. Should I pay down to zero now before hitting the luv button? Could it possibly make a difference?

My two biggest CLI's with discover have been when I had a decent balance on the card when I got the CLI. Also I have always had to wait 91 days to get my increases. How is your TU score?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 11
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Never mind about score I didn't see your scores on my phone screen. 

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

My biggest EVER Discover increase just came thru today, in the middle of the night mind you

It was instead of the usual 500 a pop this time was $2K (a New Record) after having their card (3) years.

Also this is a full week BEFORE the statement even cuts, ANOTHER FIRST for this card.

Yes, pay it off IMO.

I just PIF a BT that's been rolling on it about 3 months so that too might have been looked at favorably.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMHO Discover is such a weird beast I don't think it matters! I've gotten $500 increases when it's PIF and $3k increases when it had a balance! 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Discover2016 Thanks! I am going to try just to see if I'm one of the lucky, every 30 day people, that way I'll know. My TU isn't that great but they gave me one last month...fingers crossed. The worst they can do is say no.☺

@CreditMagic7 Awesome, thanks for sharing your firsthand experience. Disco gave me my first one after I had let a lower balance post, so I think I might pay it to zero first, then request the CLI later this week.

@smc4getnot The more I read about Discover, the more I'm seeing that YMMV! Well see what happens! I'm pretty much expecting to be on the 30 or 60 day luv train, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!😀
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if it 100% matters either, but like CM, I just got a sizable increase after paying off a large balance as well.

Message 7 of 11
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Apparently hubby is on the 90 day train (maybe longer). I thought that he had gotten his last CLI in September but in looking at the emails the confirmation email was dated October 5th. Will try again in January
Message 8 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@CreditMagic7 Awesome, thanks for sharing your firsthand experience. Disco gave me my first one after I had let a lower balance post, so I think I might pay it to zero first, then request the CLI later this week.

Well it's been said it sometimes doesn't matter but it looks better to them IMO with a PIF zero balance when approaching any lenders for a line increase.

And this time I know for a FACT that it had EVERYTHING to do with my FICO TU Score some 20 points higher than at any other time that I tried.

Not only that but for the very first time ever for my Discover Card, before the statement cut too. Never occurred like this before with them. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

My biggest EVER Discover increase just came thru today, in the middle of the night mind you

CM, was this a self-initiated CLI or was it an auto-increase?  If it was an auto-increase, just making sure you are aware that if you go online and request a CLI right now you stand a very good chance at another instant CLI, usually to the tune of the one you just got auto so right around $2k.  If the CLI you just got was self-initiated (2 day message type) then this technique will not work.  Just a FYI in the event that you may be leaving money on the table.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.