Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicksilver and QuicksilverOne

tag
excalibur1
Valued Member

Quicksilver and QuicksilverOne

Can anyone offer any advice on what to do if I have both Quicksilver and QuicksilverOne?

I began my rebuild in February 2017 with a Capital One Platinum.  In November 2017, I received a pre-approved offer for a Capital One QuicksilverOne and accepted it.  A year later, in November 2018, I was able to PC the Capital One Platinum to a Quicksilver.

So, now I have 2 Quicksilver cards, one with an annual fee.  I don't mind the annual fee so much because its' only $39 and the rewards I earn more than pay for it, although I would love to upgrade to a card with no AF.  I don't need both of these cards, but I don't want to cancel the QuicksilverOne since it's the oldest card I have.

Would I be able to PC the QuicksilverOne at some point?  Any suggestions?

Has anyone else ended up with both Quicksilver and QuicksilverOne?

My Precious!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fritscher
Regular Contributor

Re: Quicksilver and QuicksilverOne

I would keep the Quicksilver and close the Quicksilver One and move its credit line to the Quicksilver
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few things:

1) You can't combine Cap1 card limits at the moment, it has been temporary removed.

2) From your description, it seems your QS (PC from Plat) is your oldest card. When you PC, the history and age stays there. That's assuming they didn't close the Plat and just give you a QS. If it was a true PC, do not close that card as it is your oldest and it has no annual fee.

3) Check for PC offers for the QS1. There is a link somewhere in these forums you can use, maybe someone can post it as I am on my mobile device. QS1 is notoriously hard to PC, so if there is any PC offer, I would take it. Venture One would be the best bet, but if you can PC to another QS, do it. In 6 months you will have a better chance to PC that QS into something better.

4) If you don't want to go through all of that, then cancel the QS1. Your profile isn't old at all, so it really won't impact the age all too much. If the QS1 was like...5+ years old, then I wouldn't advise not to close it.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try and PC the QS1 to another QS or V1 to try and ditch the AF if possible. I would dig up the link on the forum. I used it recently to PC from a Plat to a QS as well.

And then maybe hold onto both until you start to hear Cap1 combining CLs again or Savors start to appear.
Message 4 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Have you tried for the Disco prequal? Since the QS1 is not your oldest card. Either wait until Cap1 opens up combining cards again. Or if you get a Disco card. Shut it down. See below RIP. I called the QS1 a brick. Doesnt do much and is hard to PC. You could give it a try:

https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in kind also that closing a card won’t hurt your AAoA as it’ll remain in your reports and included in the age calculations for up to 10 years after closure.
Message 6 of 10
excalibur1
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Keep in kind also that closing a card won’t hurt your AAoA as it’ll remain in your reports and included in the age calculations for up to 10 years after closure.

This is exactly what I was worried about...damaging my AAoA.  I didn't realize that closed credit cards were still included in the age calculations.  This is great!

So, if the QS1 is notoriously difficult to PC and it won't ruin my AAoA, then it makes sense to close the QS1 and add it to my RIP!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

My Precious!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pc'd my QS1 to The quick silver and went from platnium to WMC. If your limit is at or above 5,000 it's an easyier trasition i heard. Took 1 1/2 years.

Message 8 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@excalibur1, have you been using the QS1 each and every month? If so, continue doing so. A handful of data points here indicate that consecutive months of usage may be the ticket to obtaining an upgrade from a QS1.

I was able to PC two QS1s after 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage. I didn't necessarily charge a lot. And it wasn't required to cut non-zero balances on statements.

While you continue to use the card each month, call in or chat each month to see if an upgrade is available.

If you're offered an upgrade, don't be picky, i.e. don't hold out for something better. After you ditch the fee, there'll be a period of six months where upgrades won't be available. Following that period, there's a decent chance that you'll start to see product change offers to other no-fee cards.

Message 9 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Don’t worry so much about the “oldest card.” AAoA won’t be affected for many years and by then it won’t matter so much. I much prefer to make my everyday finances simpler rather than worry about how closing a card I don’t want will affect me. I would close it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.