Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocation of CL between Amex cards

tag
Janneman
Established Contributor

Relocation of CL between Amex cards

I have 3 Amex cards that I hardly use...Is it possible to relocate entire CL from them to others and then close them out?? 2 personal cards and one business.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Relocation of CL between Amex cards

You can't combine business and personal credit card limits together. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 6
Janneman
Established Contributor

@Adkins wrote:

Thanks...but I read somewhere that between personal to personal, and from personal to business is ok, but not from business to personal....

Message 3 of 6
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

The donor card usually has to have a minimum amount left on it even after you transfer the amount to the card you want. (Usually $500-$1K, depending on the cards' minimum credit line.)

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Will-Amex-combine-accounts/td-p/6385161

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Janneman wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

Thanks...but I read somewhere that between personal to personal, and from personal to business is ok, but not from business to personal....

Correct.  You cannot reallocate limit from a business card to a personal card but the other permutations are supported.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 6
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Janneman wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

Correct.  You cannot reallocate limit from a business card to a personal card but the other permutations are supported.

Yes, this is still the case.  I recently closed a business card and was not allowed to move the limit to a personal card.  Some of the limit on that business card originally came from a personal card.

Just something to be aware of...  if you try to reallocate your limits using the website tool, it may give you slightly erroneous information.  There is a known bug where the website will say you need to leave at least $500 on the donor card, when you actually need to leave more behind (like $1000).  You'll receive an error message saying something like you will receive a letter in 7-10 days with an explanation.  Just try the request again, but leave $1000 behind and see if that goes through.

March 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 11 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 2% | DTI: 1%
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.