Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAFE CU - Cash rewards; 5&3%

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

SAFE CU - Cash rewards; 5&3%

Hey guys, so I was seeing if there was a 5% on home improvement and charity and I actually found the card, its from safe cu. The categories are home improvement, charity, utilities, and movie theatres. min. Redemption is $10, I believe its only for people in Northern California, but when I was talking to the rep, she said they recently branched out to Alameda county a few months ago, so I couldn't even get the card. So, I believe they publicly branched out to all counties around the bay area. They give 3% on gas, groceries, and restaurants. Not bad at all! Just what I was looking for!

https://www.safecu.org/personal/borrow-money/credit-cards/cash-rewards-credit-card

I even asked how long they had it for and she said she been working there for 3 years and they never changed the categories or replace it with anything, so thats really good.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: SAFE CU - Cash rewards; 5&3%

Nice find for those that qualify, and are cash back CC users.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

these are the only 5% categories they got?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one of these cards and right now the categories are amazon.com, insurance, retail stores, electronic stores, movie theater, and charity.
Message 4 of 10
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Is it quarterly rotate? How come it doesn't tell the consumers what categories they have? Feels suspicious... as for insurance, is that for car insurance?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It changes quarterly. They notify me what the categories are. Yes, I believe it’s car insurance.
Message 6 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Hey guys, so I was seeing if there was a 5% on home improvement and charity and I actually found the card, its from safe cu. The categories are home improvement, charity, utilities, and movie theatres. min. Redemption is $10, I believe its only for people in Northern California, but when I was talking to the rep, she said they recently branched out to Alameda county a few months ago, so I couldn't even get the card. So, I believe they publicly branched out to all counties around the bay area. They give 3% on gas, groceries, and restaurants. Not bad at all! Just what I was looking for!

https://www.safecu.org/personal/borrow-money/credit-cards/cash-rewards-credit-card

I even asked how long they had it for and she said she been working there for 3 years and they never changed the categories or replace it with anything, so thats really good.

I don't know if this applies for getting the credit card (bad experience with Golden One!) but to join the CU you can be "an employee or member" of a lot of things, including Aerospace Musuem of California.  This costs $75 to join but presumably you need to do it only once.

Message 7 of 10
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Yeah, I heard that too about the Golden One credit union credit card too. I'm interested in the Safe CU, but idk getting mixed feelings about it.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried for membership with this CU from Upper Midwest.  Even got a membership to the Aerospace Museum of California to qualify. 

They won't approve membership due to 'not qualifying for membership' (ie being out of their geographic area), but there was nothing requiring that for the online application.  The Aerospace Museum membership was an option though.

Got denial letter and confirmed as much with 2 different phone calls.  

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fwiw, I applied and was accepted to join Golden1 CU a few years back for their unlimited 3% on Grocery spend.  Still applied from Upper Midwest with one of their associated affiliations for membership and no issues with joining.  Had heard they have clamped down on that since though.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.