Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STARTING RELATIONSHIP WITH AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

STARTING RELATIONSHIP WITH AMEX

I just recently got my first Amex card. The gold Delta. How long should i wait to try to apply for the Gold charge card or the Platnium ? 

Credit at about 680 and i have 2 cards with BOA and now the gold Delta with Amex! 2 years of credit history ! 

11 REPLIES 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: STARTING RELATIONSHIP WITH AMEX

@Anonymous wrote:

I just recently got my first Amex card. The gold Delta. How long should i wait to try to apply for the Gold charge card or the Platnium ? 

Credit at about 680 and i have 2 cards with BOA and now the gold Delta with Amex! 2 years of credit history ! 

The charge cards aren't hard to get. But it's probably a good idea to spread things out.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 12
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Given your limited history, I would say a minimum of six months depending on your profile. Some will say less, but thats my conservative opinion. 

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could get it now, but with little history with them and average scores , you’ll probably be bumping into their no-preset-limit pretty quickly. Might not bother you but it would annoy me to have my card declined.  

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait 2 months and check preapprovals. I went the other way, Gold -> Delta Gold in 60 days. Just make sure to really put some use on the Delta as AMEX likes swipes more than any other.

Usually getting the charge card first makes it easier to get revolvers than revolver to charge, but that’s IMO.
Message 5 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I got a Gold at 6.5 months of history and a $6k BCE SL at 9 months.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the Amex Gold as my first Amex card last year , october 2018 , just 2 days ago I applied for the Amex Hilton Ascend & got a starting limit of 45,000!! I already had a pretty good credit history though , but not long either.

Message 7 of 12
paulesport
Contributor

Whoa that's pretty amazing! Congrats on that CL. I can't imagine AmEx giving me that much. Looking at your cards in your siggy, I wonder if it's true what they say that the more CL you have on other cards, the larger the starting CL will be for newer cards. I just got my BonVoy Brilliant AmEx up to $14K so hoping when i go for the HH Aspire that it will be a large SL.
personal
biz

Start 1/1/19
Best 11/15/21
Current rebuild

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@paulesport wrote:
Whoa that's pretty amazing! Congrats on that CL. I can't imagine AmEx giving me that much. Looking at your cards in your siggy, I wonder if it's true what they say that the more CL you have on other cards, the larger the starting CL will be for newer cards. I just got my BonVoy Brilliant AmEx up to $14K so hoping when i go for the HH Aspire that it will be a large SL.

If you're talking to me , I have ok limits on my cards .. the only low ones are the wells fargo ones BUT that was my first credit card when I started my credit & I never updated my income which is much much more now so I am guessing that is why they never gave me high limits , but I got an email from them 2 days ago to update my income , so I am hoping for a CLI from my 2 WF cards Smiley Happy As for my Hilton Ascend yes 45k SL is insane! 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jay, I’m still knocked over by your SL recon to that absurd limit. I love it!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.