Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Mastercard

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Sallie Mae Mastercard

What are the credit requirements for this card?

Message 1 of 117
116 REPLIES 116
sosabe77
Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Mastercard

I have no idea but this has become one of my favorite cards.  You can't beat 5% back on groceries, gas, and Amazon (even with the caps).

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 117
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

While this card is more geared toward students, it does have one of the best reward structures out there. Consequently Barclays has it as one of the more difficult cards to get.

At minimum, I'd say you should try to be ~ 700+ scores and have not too many recent INQS. But as always YMMV as everyone's credit profile is different.
Message 3 of 117
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Ahh I want this card. I didn't see where Amazon bought back 5 percent but I just read that it codes as a bookstore. Amazon is my favorite place to shop, by far. Just read on doctorofcredit.com that a common denial reason is inquiries, but it also says the SM card almost always pulls TU. My recent spree only had two HP's on TU.

Hmm...what to do.

Message 4 of 117
mikelo22
Established Contributor

They do tend to pull TU. But like others said, it is one of the harder cards to get from Barclays. Since your score would be borderline, how thick is your credit profile? I'm not sure I agree with SallieMae being geared towards students because they tend to not like thin credit profiles either. You can overcome this, of course, with a higher score (700+).

All this said, YMMV.

Message 5 of 117
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

AAoA of 8 years, student loans that go back 14 years, seven credit cards in good standing (two closed), an old settled auto loan with several lates, and an old charged off CC that falls off in April. Five new CC's are on the way, the only one that has hit my report so far is the Barclay Rewards MC.

Message 6 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

While it is true that having a 700+ FICO would greatly improve your chances, Barclays is one of the more lenient lenders and there is definitely a YMMV aspect to it. I was approved upon recon for the Sallie Mae with a TU in the 640s. 

And yes, the Sallie Mae WMC is a godly card.

Message 7 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would 4 inquiries generally be considered too many?

Message 8 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dapps06 wrote:

What are the credit requirements for this card?

Low recent inquiries, a decently clean credit file. If you don't have at least one of these, get ready to play phone tag with the recon department.

@Dw4250 wrote:
While this card is more geared toward students, it does have one of the best reward structures out there. Consequently Barclays has it as one of the more difficult cards to get.

At minimum, I'd say you should try to be ~ 700+ scores and have not too many recent INQS. But as always YMMV as everyone's credit profile is different.

I was approved with 683 TU FICO, 0 INQ's on TU...

After 4 recon attempts. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

And yes, the Sallie Mae WMC is a godly card.

Indeed. I earned $55 in CB in the first month (Yes, $25 of it was the first use bonus)

Message 9 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score was around 720 when I got this card.

Message 10 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.