Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Mastercard

tag
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Mastercard

I use it the most for Wal-mart and gas surprisingly...groceries and Amazon are nice-to-haves but not really my big spends after moving back home with the parents.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 11 of 117
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@sosabe77 wrote:

I have no idea but this has become one of my favorite cards.  You can't beat 5% back on groceries, gas, and Amazon (even with the caps).

Get two and double the caps if the caps are an issue.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 12 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

I have no idea but this has become one of my favorite cards.  You can't beat 5% back on groceries, gas, and Amazon (even with the caps).

This doesn't appear to be a very reliable option. I tried applying for a second SallieMae almost a year after my first, and was denied because they claim to only allow one of this particular card.

Message 13 of 117
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

This doesn't appear to be a very reliable option. I tried applying for a second SallieMae almost a year after my first, and was denied because they claim to only allow one of this particular card.

I guess it is a YMMV deal then.  I know several people who have two in their name.  

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 14 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're married, put one in each of your names. DW has one, I have another, and we're each AUs on the other's card. Thus, double caps.

Message 15 of 117
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

I'm dying for this card! Can't wait until I've been in the garden for at least 6 months, though I'll try to wait longer if I can contain myself lol.
A lot of my newer accounts have aged over a year but I have a few inquiries on my TU. I'm already in with Barclay so I'm hoping that might help.
Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 16 of 117
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

The last time i anchored down for 4 months after my first Sallie mae denial it turned out fantastic on an Instant Approval Rewards for 5K. If i'm ever going to be in the running for Sallie mae again it's gonna take buckling down like that again i guess. This is been an elusive one for me to land but not giving up yet.

Message 17 of 117
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@zsepthenne wrote:
I'm dying for this card! Can't wait until I've been in the garden for at least 6 months, though I'll try to wait longer if I can contain myself lol.
A lot of my newer accounts have aged over a year but I have a few inquiries on my TU. I'm already in with Barclay so I'm hoping that might help.

I predict that you won't even make it the 6 months, but I hope you do for your personal goal sake, lol.  I remember when I got mine, I was done.  Until I felt I really could benefit from the Huntington Voice and then Amex BCE.  

images.jpg

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 18 of 117
barbaralee
Established Contributor

My husband is not a big shopper, so this is his go to card. We have had an interesting run with the credit line: when he was initially approved it was for 5k. Then I accidentally did a CLI on the SM card (just a month after we got it.... It was an emergency situation and I was trying to increase the Arrival) and they bumped it to 7k. Then we closed the Arrival and consolidated the credit line, so now it is at 14k. We don't use enough gas to hit the $250, and I have noticed that right when we hit the $250 for groceries our statement cuts. 

This will probably be his permacard for a while. The only drawback is how fugly it is. Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 117
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@zsepthenne wrote:

I predict that you won't even make it the 6 months, but I hope you do for your personal goal sake, lol.  I remember when I got mine, I was done.  Until I felt I really could benefit from the Huntington Voice and then Amex BCE.  

images.jpg

How little faith you have in me! Lol. I'm only about 2 months away from the 6 months otherwise you'd be totally right, I'd cave! I'm worried about apping even at 6 months though as Barclay didn't give me a 6 month CLI. I assume due to new accounts and inquiries.  

The Sallie Mae is my last card I want for quite awhile also. 

Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 20 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.