Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please help me with Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone please help me with Capital One

So a little over 2 years ago, I filed for Bankruptcy and was discharged successfully.  A few months after that, I was approved for a Capital One card with a $500 limit.  Since then, I've been approved for 4 Capital One Cards, one of which has a CL of $10,000.  I've been intentional about using the cards and paying them off.  Never missed a payment, have not been late, no issues whatsoever.

Here is the problem I've been facing.  For the last 7 months, I've been trying to combine the cards into one, with no success.  I get the general "no cards eligible" message on the website, and after calling into customer service, I am told various reasons.  I also have one card that has an annual fee, which Capital One refuses to upgrade.

I no longer use the lower limit cards.  I have a Quicksilver Visa with a $10,000 limit that I use as my daily driver.  I feel as though Capital One should be more than accomodating to upgrade my card/combine my cards into one, but for some reason they won't.

Is there any advice?  Should I just close the 3 cards I'm not using?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Someone please help me with Capital One

are all but one card paid off with a $0 balance?

if so, maybe charge something on all three and pay them off again?

Sometimes, the timing makes no sense with combine option.  It just pops up when it wants.

what are all the limits?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I've tried the charge then pay off method. Still can't get it to work. Limits are $1250, $900, $1250.

And yes all have a $0 balance
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance should be $0 and have NO statement activity for about 1-2 months from what I have seen or heard. Which also means payments included if I am correct. If someone can correct me if I am wrong let me know.

I’m in the middle of waiting for my venture card so I can combine limits myself.
Message 4 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

So a little over 2 years ago, I filed for Bankruptcy and was discharged successfully.  A few months after that, I was approved for a Capital One card with a $500 limit.  Since then, I've been approved for 4 Capital One Cards, one of which has a CL of $10,000.  I've been intentional about using the cards and paying them off.  Never missed a payment, have not been late, no issues whatsoever.

Here is the problem I've been facing.  For the last 7 months, I've been trying to combine the cards into one, with no success.  I get the general "no cards eligible" message on the website, and after calling into customer service, I am told various reasons.  I also have one card that has an annual fee, which Capital One refuses to upgrade.

I no longer use the lower limit cards.  I have a Quicksilver Visa with a $10,000 limit that I use as my daily driver.  I feel as though Capital One should be more than accomodating to upgrade my card/combine my cards into one, but for some reason they won't.

Is there any advice?  Should I just close the 3 cards I'm not using?  Thanks in advance.

You're better off not combining. Once you combine Cap One starts looking at your new larger account as a candidate for adverse action.

If any of the cards have an annual fee, call up and ask if you're eligible for an upgrade to a card with no annual fee. If not, then close it.

As to cards which do not have an annual fee, just sock drawer them rather than close them.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information. I've asked a few times to upgrade the card with the AF, but they always say I have no upgrades available
Message 6 of 15
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Thanks for the information. I've asked a few times to upgrade the card with the AF, but they always say I have no upgrades available

Have you also tried the upgrade link here in the forum?

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe so
Message 8 of 15
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
I don't believe so

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-check-for-upgrade-link/td-p/4934733

If it doesn't work, try again in a week or two. Quite a few people have shed their AF card for a no AF card. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

During that time when so many of us combined Capital One cards I seem to remember someone who never could combine because of the nature of the cards. That is, at the time of acquisition credit scores dictated different cards with internal limits, etc.  Not sure if this makes sense. Perhaps someone who remembers all that combining frenzy we went through will recall and respond to your thread. Congratulations on your rebuilding. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.