Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please help me with Capital One

tag
risingup2day
Regular Contributor

Re: Someone please help me with Capital One

I have combined two Cap 1 accounts together. The first one was easy. Both accounts have to be older than six months. Card A has to be zero balance when combining with card B. Now the tricky part. Both cards have to be identical with your information. Name on the account and address. One of my card did not have my middle initial and would not let me combine.

Card A
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
Card B
John J Jingleheimer Schmidt

Again both have to be identical.

Hope this helps.
Message 11 of 15
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

I tried doing this last night and was denied. I called in and got a supervisor. They will not let me do it since my February payment on a card was late. Both accounts are at zero balance and I have just put DH on as a AU. Mine are going into the SD. DH will be carrying his. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it since I want AZEO reporting. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

So a little over 2 years ago, I filed for Bankruptcy and was discharged successfully.  A few months after that, I was approved for a Capital One card with a $500 limit.  Since then, I've been approved for 4 Capital One Cards, one of which has a CL of $10,000.  I've been intentional about using the cards and paying them off.  Never missed a payment, have not been late, no issues whatsoever.

Here is the problem I've been facing.  For the last 7 months, I've been trying to combine the cards into one, with no success.  I get the general "no cards eligible" message on the website, and after calling into customer service, I am told various reasons.  I also have one card that has an annual fee, which Capital One refuses to upgrade.

I no longer use the lower limit cards.  I have a Quicksilver Visa with a $10,000 limit that I use as my daily driver.  I feel as though Capital One should be more than accomodating to upgrade my card/combine my cards into one, but for some reason they won't.

Is there any advice?  Should I just close the 3 cards I'm not using?  Thanks in advance.

You're better off not combining. Once you combine Cap One starts looking at your new larger account as a candidate for adverse action.

If any of the cards have an annual fee, call up and ask if you're eligible for an upgrade to a card with no annual fee. If not, then close it.

As to cards which do not have an annual fee, just sock drawer them rather than close them.

Would you be willing to provide more data on the AA issue? Off the top of my head, you're the only person I know who reported AA problems after combining their cards. (EDIT: I did just now find the "Cap 1 AA - they don't fool around" thread, and it appears that problems with AA following combinations come up if, among other things (1) the combined CL's work out to more than $30K - $35K and (2) the cards aren't being used actively enough. I don't expect either of those factors to hold in my own case, since I'm expecting the combined CL to be at least $16K, if I don't get a CLI on my QS Visa before the proposed combination in July, and the QS Visa is going to be one of my go-to cards.)

Message 13 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I would think, irregardless of limit, anytime you are looking to combine cards, one is drawing attention to their accounts because it will be viewed manually by a UW. If something looks different to them quite possible there could be AA should they choose. I remember one advice here that when you call in and talk about your account you become a blip on the radar lol, so always make sure your ducks are in a row so to speakSmiley Wink
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:
I would think, irregardless of limit, anytime you are looking to combine cards, one is drawing attention to their accounts because it will be viewed manually by a UW. If something looks different to them quite possible there could be AA should they choose. I remember one advice here that when you call in and talk about your account you become a blip on the radar lol, so always make sure your ducks are in a row so to speakSmiley Wink

That makes sense. I don't know if CLI's run through the computer generate that same kind of "blip", but having just CLI'ed my QS MC yesterday, I'm going to proceed with caution here - may wait a bit longer than the early-July target date I had originally set, and make sure to use the QS Visa actively.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.