Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange request from FNBO

tag
username7
Contributor

Strange request from FNBO

Finally received my card in the mail, gave the number a call and was routed to the fraud department.. Weird.. I haven't even used it yet.. 

CSR tells me that somehow my phone number got deattached from my application/account.. and in order for me to activate the FNBO card, I would need to go to any bank and have the branch manager call the number on the back of the FNBO card telling the FNBO CSR I am the person listed on the card. 

This sounds fun. Anyone experience this?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Strange request from FNBO

According to their website, their branches are only in a few states.  What if you don't live in one of those states?

I'm not doubting the issue happened, I guess anything could happen..as odd as it seems..but the resolution doesn't seem feasible 

I'd try calling in to speak to someone else.  Or maybe start with a regular CSR, not the Fraud Dept first.

https://www.fnbo.com/branch-locations/states/

Message 2 of 23
username7
Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

According to their website, their branches are only in a few states.  What if you don't live in one of those states?

I'm not doubting the issue happened, I guess anything could happen..as odd as it seems..but the resolution doesn't seem feasible 

I'd try calling in to speak to someone else.  Or maybe start with a regular CSR, not the Fraud Dept first.

The fraud dept CSR initially said as I said in my OP that any bank would work, but it had to be the branch manager that called.

Message 3 of 23
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@username7 wrote:

@cashorcharge wrote:

The fraud dept CSR initially said as I said in my OP that any bank would work, but it had to be the branch manager that called.

Literally ANY bank? Like you could go to BofA or Chase or WF and they'd accept that manager's word? How would they even know it really *is* a bank manager?! It could just be a friend of yours. Internally, a bank manager would be able to provide their employee information (whatever they use, an employee number, a security code, their branch location's ID and phone numbers, etc.), but some random OTHER bank...I don't get it!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 23
parzivalmx
Valued Member

Very strange, I image the branch manager would be very confused with this request. 

US Cards

Mexico Cards
Message 5 of 23
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

This is more confusing then when I had to go get a medallion signature for Fidelity investments... 

I very highly Doubt that if I go to Citi/Chase/WF they'll call FNBO on my behalf and tell them that I am who I say I am... I'm sure there's a internal security guideline that prevents them from doing so.

Message 6 of 23
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@username7 wrote:

@cashorcharge wrote:

I didn't even consider that FNBO would take the word of say a Chase Bank Branch Manager when they wouldn't know or care on why this was going on.  I figured FNBO would want you to go to THEIR bank.  Sorry about the confusion.  Good luck!

Message 7 of 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I personally have never heard of this with FNBO but they appear to be issuing their evergreen card to just about anyone around the country. This is something a few eastern CUs and banks would pull not FNBO. If you can really go into any bank and have the branch manager call then I would do that and if that fails you might have to just SD the thing and let it auto close for non use if this cannot be resolved. I would try the FNBO underwriter number and see if they can help

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Message 8 of 23
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

I personally have never heard of this with FNBO but they appear to be issuing their evergreen card to just about anyone around the country. This is something a few eastern CUs and banks would pull not FNBO. If you can really go into any bank and have the branch manager call then I would do that and if that fails you might have to just SD the thing and let it auto close for non use if this cannot be resolved. I would try the FNBO underwriter number and see if they can help

But it's SUCH a bizarre concept! Asking a *competitor* to do this random favor for a random person--who's not even their customer? *SMH*

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 9 of 23
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

But it's SUCH a bizarre concept! Asking a *competitor* to do this random favor for a random person--who's not even their customer? *SMH*

Yes, this is a very bizarre situation.

I've never heard of something like this.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.