cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To apply or not to apply... that is the question.

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: To apply or not to apply... that is the question.

It's important to have a purpose for gardening, yes, but at the same time, you don't always need to be planning an application. I don't think the options are either "gardening until I app for ___" or else you'll app for whatever you want (which can lead to impulse apps for cards you really don't need). There can be a middle ground. Even if you don't have a specific card in mind, your score and profile always benefit from taking a break from apps. Set a countdown on your calendar for 3 months, 6 months, whatever it is...then at that time, you can reevaluate. New cards come along, others get nerfed - your goal card may change and that's ok.

The point is that even without a specific garden/ goal card, you shouldn't be applying for cards on a whim. I know easier said than done but in the long run you're going to do more harm than good with constant applications. If you feel you are truly addicted and cannot stop applying maybe best to step away from the hobby entirely for awhile.

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

It's important to have a purpose for gardening, yes, but at the same time, you don't always need to be planning an application. I don't think the options are either "gardening until I app for ___" or else you'll app for whatever you want (which can lead to impulse apps for cards you really don't need). There can be a middle ground. Even if you don't have a specific card in mind, your score and profile always benefit from taking a break from apps. Set a countdown on your calendar for 3 months, 6 months, whatever it is...then at that time, you can reevaluate. New cards come along, others get nerfed - your goal card may change and that's ok.

The point is that even without a specific garden/ goal card, you shouldn't be applying for cards on a whim. I know easier said than done but in the long run you're going to do more harm than good with constant applications. If you feel you are truly addicted and cannot stop applying maybe best to step away from the hobby entirely for awhile.

My point is that for serial appers like myself and many others, we have found setting a garden goal makes it easier to justify not grabbing every piece of plastic we can get approved for. I worked hard to rebuild my credit and I don't plan to just check my scores every month. 🤷‍♂️ 

Message 22 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

My point is that for serial appers like myself and many others, we have found setting a garden goal makes it easier to justify not grabbing every piece of plastic we can get approved for. I worked hard to rebuild my credit and I don't plan to just check my scores every month. 🤷‍♂️ 

Oh absolutely, and I agree. There's different ways of looking at it. It makes sense to want to be rewarded for rebuilding your credit, but excessive applying can backfire (AA), so all things in moderation.

The important thing is, however you do it, is controlling the urge to app, and not just apping for the sake of it.

Message 23 of 29
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Oh absolutely, and I agree. There's different ways of looking at it. It makes sense to want to be rewarded for rebuilding your credit, but excessive applying can backfire (AA), so all things in moderation.

The important thing is, however you do it, is controlling the urge to app, and not just apping for the sake of it.

What is AA? I think there are pros and cons to all things. Personally I started this journey thinking i'd get all the cards I wanted... but obviously that didnt work out "According to Plan" lol. 1k credit line at NFCU... silly af. 

BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50,800 | NFCU MCPlatinum $50,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $10,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6,000 | American Express Cash $2,000 | American Express Blue Business Plus $4,000 | Apple Card Mastercard $5,500 | Discover IT Student $1,000

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
Message 24 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

That's another good point too. The more you app, you are more likely to be flagged as an excessive credit seeker by the banks....which translates into lower limits and higher APRs.

But my point was that excessive apps can lead to AA, adverse action - banks may reduce limits or close your cards entirely if they don't like what they see on your credit report. One of the things that can lead to this are too many inquiries/new accounts.

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@californiaboy935 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

What is AA? I think there are pros and cons to all things. Personally I started this journey thinking i'd get all the cards I wanted... but obviously that didnt work out "According to Plan" lol. 1k credit line at NFCU... silly af. 

NFCU is a special case. They'll give you 1K now and 91 days and 3 statements they'll give you a $25K second card. They're all about the relationship. It's easy to get a lot of credit with them quickly, just gotta put your initial time in. 

AA = adverse action. Lenders closing cards, cutting limits, etc. Too much credit seeking behavior can cause it which is another good reason to garden. 

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

So like...did you get the card or what? If I all I have to do is get referred, I'd like to know. 

Message 27 of 29
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

I can neither confirm nor deny... 

"It was a dreadful heavy thing..." Rose from Titanic (1997)

BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50,800 | NFCU MCPlatinum $50,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $10,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6,000 | American Express Cash $2,000 | American Express Blue Business Plus $4,000 | Apple Card Mastercard $5,500 | Discover IT Student $1,000

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
Message 28 of 29
elixerin
Established Contributor

@californiaboy935 wrote:

One of the hardest parts of being in the Garden... is being in the Garden. 

You wish to grow your current portfolio of cards, expand your banking relationships. And just generally make a positive impact on your credit. But if you like me then sometimes you loose your way, you want to find the next great thing: 

You have your friend whose a J.P. Morgen Private Bank client introduce you to his private banker just to try for the JP Morgen Reserve Card....

Any thoughts on if I should retire from the garden, and choose the J.P. Morgan Advisor? Does anyone give a **bleep** about the reserve card anymore??

you don't go out of your way for these kinds of cards, simply if your doing business to the tune (and with Chase) you can expect a Palladium, assets are lot easier to build than for a card obtained thru significant spend (Amex Centurion), 10M assets vs 3-500k annual spend is the kicker thou.

as for getting referred in to this circle it's definitely possible.. but the actual relationship will probably need to only be sustained by you.. not your billionaire buddy, im sure referee's among the likes get their own incentives within Chase but probably not quite their own Palladium 

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.