Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tsa precheck coding

tag
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Tsa precheck coding

Does anyone know if TSA precheck codes as travel?

have my appointment tomorrow.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tsa precheck coding

My Global Entry code as Others for Visa.

Message 2 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

What cards do you have?

Different issuers can have different definitions of a bonus category. Also, you may have a card that gives you a statement credit or other discount.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 8
Ricky_D
Contributor

@Andypanda wrote:

Your card issuer will show the charge as a TSA purchase on your online statement. With AmEx, not coded as travel. It's a reimbursement benefit, not earned.

So, if the card you are using offers reimbursement for TSA, no reward points, etc. are given.  If you are paying with no reimbursement, the catergory is "other" and you may get 1% or 1X points depending on the card.

My situation:

On Aug 2nd, I paid for the TSA check with my AmEx Plat.  I was told that it would take up to 2 weeks to get a decision on my TSA status.

I checked on the TSA website the next day (3rd) and it showed approved with my KTN. On the 5th, I received an email that I was approved with my KTN.  I called AmEx to find out when the TSA credit would post. Was told it can take up to 14 business days.  Today, (the 7th), the credit was applied.

Message 4 of 8
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

@Andypanda wrote:

If you already have an interview appointment, you must have already paid for the application.

I paid my DW's $100 global entry application fee with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, and it came up as USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER under Bills and Utilities instead of Travel. I was credited back the full amount, and the credit appeared as KNOWN TRAVELER CREDIT.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 5 of 8
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@Zolomon wrote:

@Andypanda wrote:

If you already have an interview appointment, you must have already paid for the application.

I paid my DW's $100 global entry application fee with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, and it came up as USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER under Bills and Utilities instead of Travel. I was credited back the full amount, and the credit appeared as KNOWN TRAVELER CREDIT.

I don’t pay until the interview. I don’t have any cards which gives it as a credit.

Message 6 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Andypanda wrote:

@Zolomon wrote:

@Andypanda wrote:

I don’t pay until the interview. I don’t have any cards which gives it as a credit.

Which credit cards do you have ? 

#SlowReveal

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 8
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Generally for TSA PreCheck and Global Entry the charge gets rewards as Government Services. This category is next to impossible to get much rewards from. Most cards with rewards will call it 1% back unless they are 1.5% flat, 1.8% flat, 2% flat, 2.5% flat, 3% flat, or 4% flat cards. You can also try amount back cards like the Citi Rewards+ and Citizens Bank GreenSense but the percentage ones might be better at that high charge. In short unless you have a credit from the card to cover your cost as a benefit you are not going to be gaming the system. Since you say you have not paid yet I recommend you grab the PenFed Pathfinder AmEx quickly and see about getting that credit.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.